Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Parts aren't always cheaper where one would expect

Being in need of a replacement charcoal filter for a Kenmore microwave
oven, I first tried pcappliancerepair.com, which I had on previous
occasions found to be the best place for appliance parts and
accessories. This time, however, the site could not recognize the
appliance Model #.

I then went to the Sears Web site and found that the filter was
available (but only by paying shipping: none in stock at the nearest
Service and Repair Center, which is a 45min. drive away anyway) for $24.xx.

I then plugged this part no. into pcappliancerepair.com' search window,
which showed a price of over $40 but with none in stock anyway.

I then Googled the part no. and found it in the description of some
microwaves by LG Electronics. Recalling that we had seen LG microwave
ovens at Best Buy, I tried their Web site and found the filters
(although the brand was given as "Zenith") for a mere $11.66.

I have no connection with Best Buy (other than having sometimes shopped
there but nowadays studiously avoiding them), and I'm certainly not
going to claim that they would be the cheapest for all parts, but this
time they came out ahead.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Wenz

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Being in need of a replacement charcoal filter for a Kenmore microwave
oven, I first tried pcappliancerepair.com, which I had on previous
occasions found to be the best place for appliance parts and
accessories. This time, however, the site could not recognize the
appliance Model #.

etc.

I had a timer on a hot tub go. Price at the local retail store was
around $60. I removed the timer and called the manufacturer. Price,
including postage, was around $16! Thank God for the Internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I removed a bad element forom a GE dryer yesterday, heat wire broke.
Did a quick check it appears to be between 100 to 140 bucks/

The dryers owner is on a fixed income and I am doing this for FREE to
help her out.

now I will start serious shopping...