Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

Default Motion sensing lights in a room?

I know there are motion sensors which detect movement and can turn on
a light fixture. What I was wondering is there a way to do this inside
a house? I would need one that would detect a person walking _into_
the room so the light would cut on several feet before a person enters
the room.

Is there a relatively cheap and easy way to do this?
Perhaps I might want to do only one room to see how it would work out?

thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy writes:

Sure. They cost about 10 bucks at Walmart and are normally
used for driveway and outside monitoring. Just buy one and
hook it to an electrical cord and place it somewhere to experiment
on the coverage.....
The biggest drawback I can see is that they probably won't fit
in with your decor, but you can hide it behind something that is
transparent to infrared, or in the foliage of a fake plant, or
something.... The sensors are the same as the expensive ones
that is used in stores, except the Walmart versions are mass
produced which gets the price really low......
Get one and try it out. Use it to turn on a floor lamp or
something and let your imagination run with it.....
However, if you fall asleep on the couch at 11pm, expect to
wake up with the lights out. Just wave your arms and they will
come on. If you toss and turn in your sleep, the damn thing
will go on and off and you probably will unplug it.... (grin)....

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey S.

Sure, there are ones that can be used to replace a wall switch.
To see one example, go to homedepot.com and search for 100396703

My brother has these in his house, though of course when they turn on
depends on the location of the switch it replaces.

--

Mike S.

"BOB" wrote in message
I know there are motion sensors which detect movement and can turn on
a light fixture. What I was wondering is there a way to do this inside
a house? I would need one that would detect a person walking _into_
the room so the light would cut on several feet before a person enters
the room.

Is there a relatively cheap and easy way to do this?
Perhaps I might want to do only one room to see how it would work out?

thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Check out Smarthome.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

There some you can replace your switch with. Only thing though' most
of them do not work well with flourecent lamps.

http://www.residential-landscape-lig.../more_info.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

X-10 (www.x10.com) has motion detectors for around $25 (they used to
have an indoor-only one for less but I don't see it in their current
list), and you can buy things that either replace your light switches
or screw in between your light bulb and the socket. And you'll need a
receiver.

If you're not in a rush, they're always running some sort of sale, so
you can wait until the parts you want are on sale. Not a lot of reason
to pay their retail prices.

You'll have to do a bit of reading to understand how their stuff works,
but I've found it a lot of fun and very helpful around the house. I
can turn on and off lights from anywhere in the house by remote
control, or turn them all on at once. When I go out the back door at
night the under-deck lights also come on automatically. My air filter
is on a timer to go on at the times I'm normally not home. And instead
of an alarm clock my stereo gently wakes me up in the morning.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Now with a comedy video on the website!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M.

"BOB" wrote in message
I know there are motion sensors which detect movement and can turn on
a light fixture. What I was wondering is there a way to do this inside
a house? I would need one that would detect a person walking _into_
the room so the light would cut on several feet before a person enters
the room.

Can be done, but if you want it to happen -before- someone gets into the
room, it's a little more tricky. Problem is, motion sensors don't "see" the
target well when the target's motion is directly toward or away from the
detector. Since they detect motion by way of a change in heat, and you want
to do this indoors which is close to body temp (as opposed to outside), you
may well be within arm's length of the sensor before it sees you.

It can see you in an instant from 20 feet or more if you move _across_ it's
field of view however. You can adjust the sensitivity, but sometimes the
thing will be triggering the lights so often that a plain ol' switch would
be better.

Most flourescent lights won't work with these switches either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a couple of motion sensing night lights I have in my basement
near the cat box. The 5-7W bulbs in them are more then enough light
for the cats.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Bob M." wrote in message

"BOB" wrote in message
[...]

Depends on what type you use. My office building had fluorescent lights
working with motion sensors, with no problems at all. This is why the OP
should consult an electrical supply place, or he'll be back here asking why
he keeps killing switches.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

Thanks for all the tips guys. This has given me some ideas to
consider.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Bob M." wrote in message

"BOB" wrote in message
[...]

You can buy a driveway/yard type of light with two sockets and the sensor
for about $10 here. Look through the instructions, some have a wire to turn
on remote lights. This type has a relay output and you can easily remove the
sensor and use it to turn on any light. Put one in my girlfriends garage to
turn two old kitchen ceiling fixtures on. Works like a champ.

Al

Al

Wiring 'Dual Master' motion sensing lights charbroil bad Home Repair 6 May 7th 16 08:59 PM
Outdoor motion lights fail James B Home Repair 2 January 11th 06 12:45 AM
is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter? Pawel Home Repair 173 November 25th 05 08:30 PM
No lights in one room Pedge UK diy 4 November 2nd 05 05:20 PM
Number of (fluorescent) lights in a room Martin Angove UK diy 2 July 31st 03 08:31 PM