Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy & Carol

Default Wallpaper!

Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy & Carol wrote:
Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

I've always found the steam units, that you can rent, most effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steam unit is the only way to go, besides paying someone to do it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

I have gone the steam route and the spay bottle route. I don't think
there is any way that isn't messy.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
JRL

Basic wallpaper removal solution and a broad knife ( putty knife )
..The key is scoring the wallpaper plenty times and let the solution
soak in. Very easy ,comes off like a charm with minimal mess. I've
done it plenty of times.
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:17:16 GMT, "Andy & Carol"
wrote:

Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , JRL says...

Basic wallpaper removal solution and a broad knife ( putty knife )
.The key is scoring the wallpaper plenty times and let the solution
soak in. Very easy ,comes off like a charm with minimal mess. I've
done it plenty of times.

I have a string wallpaper I'll want to remove a year or so down the road. Does
this need any special measures?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

I have never used a steamer. I have used a commercial product called DIF and
a home made solution (Warm water and vinegar).

The key is to get the glue wet with the solution.

This can be easy or hard.

Some papers are vinyl. The solution will not penetrate to the glue. In that
case you need to get one of those tools to poke little holes in the outer
layer so the glue or solution can penetrate. That's, unfortunately, has the
side affect of causing the paper to come off in small pieces.

Some papers that do have an impermeable layer can be split. Try to just pull
off the outer part of the wallpaper without doing anything else first. Just
use a utility knife to lift a corner and start pulling carefully. If you can
get off the decorative layer then the glue layer will come off easily with
the solution above.

Now - The bad news - If the paper was installed directly against unprimed
drywall it will never come off. Argh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you removing it from drywall or plaster?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you removing it from drywall or plaster?

If that question was to me - The project I was referring to has long since
past. I dealt with wallpaper that was glued directly to unprimed 1st
generation drywall. No method of cajoling would get it off w/o damage to the
paper facing on the drywall. I suspect the same would be true with modern
drywall or even plaster.

Posted to alt.home.repair
klaatu

wrote:

Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

I am not an expert but after trying all the other methods I just
peeled the vinyl off the backer of the wallpaper and then sprayed
plain water of the backer. It peeled right off after a 5 minute soak.
You may have to spray some areas more that apear dry .
Then a wet sponge to remove the old glue. Do this right away
as the glue is still wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy & Carol

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a
mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of
doing it!
Andy

It is on plastered walls that have been painted,house built in
1954
Andy