Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

Default dryer vents

I put on a new dryer vent and where the old one was connected to the dryer
there is a collar on the dryer connection. This kept falling off as I put
the new vent on the dryer so I just put it to the side and did not use it.
Is this collar necessary, or is it just to help fit the vent to the dryer's
exhaust port?

I also had to use duct tape to tape the pieces together. I never used duct
tape for its real purpose of taping ducts. Will the hot exhaust air melt
the tape or loosen it's adhesiveness?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair

the collar is just a connector, the duct tape will eventually fall
apart.

theses a more shiney metal tape that works better, but your good to go
for now.

dryer vents are all junk quality

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I bet you have a Whirlpool dryer or a Kenmore built by Whirlpool. For some
reason they make their exhaust duct way too short. Notwithstanding it is
posssible to secure the clamp if you put the screw mechanism on the bottom
where it is hard to tighten. Don't ask me why it is so poorly designed. Be
sure to use metal ductwork and a screw type collar.

"Eddie G" wrote in message
I put on a new dryer vent and where the old one was connected to the dryer
there is a collar on the dryer connection. This kept falling off as I put
the new vent on the dryer so I just put it to the side and did not use it.
Is this collar necessary, or is it just to help fit the vent to the dryer's
exhaust port?

I also had to use duct tape to tape the pieces together. I never used
duct tape for its real purpose of taping ducts. Will the hot exhaust air
melt the tape or loosen it's adhesiveness?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I bet you have a Whirlpool dryer or a Kenmore built by Whirlpool. For some
reason they make their exhaust duct way too short. Notwithstanding it is
posssible to secure the clamp if you put the screw mechanism on the bottom
where it is hard to tighten. Don't ask me why it is so poorly designed.
Be sure to use metal ductwork and a screw type collar.

Yes I have a Kenmore. The collar is not the thin strip with a screw...it is
an aluminum collar about 2 inches wide that was kind of a "junction" between
the dryer exhaust port and the metal tubing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

We tried something similar with a flex metal duct that had a plastic collar.
I would not hold. Eventually I ripped off the collar but was able to keep
the flexible metal duct and used a duct clamp with the screw adjuster and
put it on the Kenmore. It has held for many months now.

"Eddie G" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I bet you have a Whirlpool dryer or a Kenmore built by Whirlpool. For
some reason they make their exhaust duct way too short. Notwithstanding
it is posssible to secure the clamp if you put the screw mechanism on the
bottom where it is hard to tighten. Don't ask me why it is so poorly
designed. Be sure to use metal ductwork and a screw type collar.

Yes I have a Kenmore. The collar is not the thin strip with a screw...it
is an aluminum collar about 2 inches wide that was kind of a "junction"
between the dryer exhaust port and the metal tubing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Eddie G (removeme) wrote:
I put on a new dryer vent and where the old one was connected to the dryer
there is a collar on the dryer connection. This kept falling off as I put
the new vent on the dryer so I just put it to the side and did not use it.
Is this collar necessary, or is it just to help fit the vent to the dryer's
exhaust port?

I also had to use duct tape to tape the pieces together. I never used duct
tape for its real purpose of taping ducts. Will the hot exhaust air melt
the tape or loosen it's adhesiveness?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Duct tape's cloth element is also flammable.