Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Splitting a land parcel - how?

I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

it can be a big hassle, see your local town offices.

there are minimum lot size rules, fees for sub dividing, rules about
sewers or they will require you get the entire parcel perk tested for
septic rules about curb cuts, the list can be endless, depending on
where exactly the property is.

All this costs big bucks, a good friend did it and had to post a 11
grand bond to cover the cost of a future serer line to serve the sub
divided parcel.

you will almost certinally need a lawyer to get this all done perfect.

good luck you will need it.

my in laws bought 3 lots in a subdivision, all have irregular shapes to
meet perk test rules...

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

miamicuse wrote:
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

The standard procedure is to go to your local building and zoning
department and see if you are allowed to do it.
If so, they will tell you what division they would approve.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

I am doing something similar. My lawyer said it would cost maybe $500.
Naturally your three lots will have to satisfy the zoning requirement.s

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

It's called a "Re-Plat" if I'm not mistaken. Assuming all the lots will
satisfy the local codes, homeowner's assoc. covenants, etc...
it's fairly straitforward. A lawyer is recommended to put the paperwork
through for you. Before retaining an attorney however,
take the advice previously given and get with your local building codes
office and ensure you can even do it first. No sense paying a lawyer
to tell you it can't be done.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:40:58 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

Get a parcel number and check with Dade County Records...(online)
presuming you are in Miami. Any previous division by a developer may
reflect some zoning issues...agriculture, wet lands, etc.. BTW, how
did you find land in Miami?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

No more land in Miami, this one has a tiny house sitting on it, so that
needs to be torn down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The most important considerations are what the lot is zoned for, what
the minimum lot size is, what size houses you could then build on those
lots, and having street access for all the lots. Then you have issues
of meeting setback, sideyard, etc. reqts for all the lots. If it
turns out all this is OK, then it should be pretty straightforward.

If you can't meet all the requirements, then to split the property, you
will need a variance. And that's up to the local Board of Adustment,
or similar body. Whether they grant it depends on how extreme the
variance deviates from zoning, whether it's some type of hardship case,
if the neighbors support the idea or object, who you know, and what
mood the board is in. If you need to go this route, the cost will be
much higher, win or lose, because they typically want more site plans,
info, you may need expert witnesses, etc.

As others have suggested, find out from the city what it's zoned for
and the various requirements for that zone. You can do a first pass
on your own to figure out if there are any immediate show stoppers
without spending any money, except maybe to buy a copy of the zoning
book.

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

First you do your homework. Check with the Town, describe your intentions,
get a feel for the likelihood of acceptance. Make sure you understand all of
the requirements for application and approval. Make a list of the
information and documentation you need to submit an application.
Second, assuming a successful first step, hire a land surveyor to draw up
the plans for review and approval, and later for recording.
Third, submit the plans to the town for subdivision approval.
Forth, hire a lawyer to record the approved plans and write up the new
deeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

In addition to what everyone else said, you should contact the utility
companies in the area (Water, gas, electric) to find out if providing
service to the new lots is possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

why not offere the house for a buck to anyone who will remove it? saves
demolition and might be a useful home to someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Sub-plat is the commonly used term out west anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The lot is currently zoned for single family residence, and all adjacent
lots are about 12000 SF and this one is slightly over 37000 SF. It has a
frontage of about 250' to one side so access is not a problem. I guess I
have to check the plans to see how the water sewer lines are laid for the
current house and if it connects in a strange angle it may affect how I can
split it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am interested in acquiring a land parcel about 32000 SF and cut it

into
three lots and sell off two of them and build a house for myself on the
largest lot. What is the procedure in doing this? How do I create

three
separate parcels with different addresses is there a standard procedure
involved?

Thanks,

MC

In addition to what everyone else said, you should contact the utility
companies in the area (Water, gas, electric) to find out if providing
service to the new lots is possible.

Good point. Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

In addition to what everyone else said, you should contact the utility
companies in the area (Water, gas, electric) to find out if providing
service to the new lots is possible.

ADD SEWAGE TO THAT LIST!

Around here some areas are out of capacity and dont allow new hookups
or charge outlandish fees like 18 grand to connect to their lines