Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Default Salt Prices

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:52:37 -0500, "Don" wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

The cost of oil to produce the salt, that's why.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:52:37 -0500, "Don" wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

The cost of oil to produce the salt, that's why.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

I buy the 25 lb. block of salt for about 3.50 at the local grocery store.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Chuck B." wrote in message
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:52:37 -0500, "Don" wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

The cost of oil to produce the salt, that's why.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

I buy the 25 lb. block of salt for about 3.50 at the local grocery store.

That comes out a lot more expensive than I pay for the bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

"Chuck B." wrote in message
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:52:37 -0500, "Don" wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

The cost of oil to produce the salt, that's why.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

I buy the 25 lb. block of salt for about 3.50 at the local grocery store.

I buy the 40 lb. bag of salt for about $3.50 at the local grocery store.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

Kevin Ricks wrote:

"Chuck B." wrote in message

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:52:37 -0500, "Don" wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

The cost of oil to produce the salt, that's why.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

I buy the 25 lb. block of salt for about 3.50 at the local grocery store.

I buy the 40 lb. bag of salt for about $3.50 at the local grocery store.
Kevin

How long does you 40lb bag last? I get my block every two weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Kevin,

That's a good price. Don did not post his price but I just bought salt a
couple of weeks ago for $4.00/40 lb. bag. That's the same price I've paid
for the last few years, so why does Don think the price is shooting up?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Don wrote:
Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up
so dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

We're running out of salt?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Don wrote:
Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up
so dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

We're running out of salt?

We're probably sending it to Iraq along with all the good lumber.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Don" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know why the price of my water softener salt has gone up so
dramatically? I use Morton solar salt.

Salt as a raw material is a low cost commodity. It is heavy and thus, cost
a lot to ship and cost a lot to mine in terms of fuel use. As a percentage
of total cost, the price of oil is going to affect it more than most items.

I'll have to check the price when I get my delivery on Monday. It went up a
few weeks ago but I've heard nothing when I ordered today.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chuck B." wrote in message

How long does you 40lb bag last? I get my block every two weeks.

I buy 50# bags and use about 2 a day.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:31:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Chuck B." wrote in message

How long does you 40lb bag last? I get my block every two weeks.

I buy 50# bags and use about 2 a day.

At 3.50 a bag, isn't that more than 2000 dollars a year?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"David Martel" wrote in message
news
Kevin,

That's a good price. Don did not post his price but I just bought salt
couple of weeks ago for $4.00/40 lb. bag. That's the same price I've paid
for the last few years, so why does Don think the price is shooting up?

Dave M.

I buy at Walmart where the 40 lb bag (blue bag) Morton Solar salt went from
$3.96 to $4.58, a .62 increase. I use 3 bags every 5 weeks. It just seems
like another example of gauging.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

news
wrote:

"Chuck B." wrote in message

How long does you 40lb bag last? I get my block every two weeks.

I buy 50# bags and use about 2 a day.

At 3.50 a bag, isn't that more than 2000 dollars a year?

Yes, it is. Sometimes more.

The question I'm responding to asked how many bags were used. I gave an
accurate answer. What has not asked was about hardness, gallons per day, or
any other factor in the use of salt. My application is feedwater for two 125
HP steam boilers that use an average of 10,000 gallons and up to 14,000
gallons of water a day. If you think the salt is expensive the gas bill for
last MONTH was $40,750. And that is not at full production capacity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Don" wrote in message
I buy at Walmart where the 40 lb bag (blue bag) Morton Solar salt went
from
$3.96 to $4.58, a .62 increase. I use 3 bags every 5 weeks. It just seems
like another example of gauging.

Who do you think is doing the gouging? My guess is that Wal Mart is
making the same margin and Morton is probably doing about the same. OTOH,
the cost of the bag the salt is in probably went up 10¢ in recent months
(maybe more, I'm being optimistic), the fuel surcharges for freight hit 27%.
The cost of fuel to process the salt skyrocketed also; increases of 15% to
70% are not uncommon. Healthcare costs for the Morton employees is
probably up 15% or more if they are typical of what everyone else has seen.
..

Just my opinion, but I don't think that Joe Homeowner has yet to see the
real cost of the recent energy increases. Our heating bills have gone up,
but other products will be jumping as manufacturers pass on the increased
cost of doing business.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Plain ol' rock salt in rural Tennessee is $12.50 per 40 pound bag, higher
than that if it's during a snowstorm.

Bob

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:03:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Chuck B." wrote in message

How long does you 40lb bag last? I get my block every two weeks.

I buy 50# bags and use about 2 a day.

At 3.50 a bag, isn't that more than 2000 dollars a year?

Yes, it is. Sometimes more.

The question I'm responding to asked how many bags were used. I gave an
accurate answer. What has not asked was about hardness, gallons per day, or
any other factor in the use of salt. My application is feedwater for two 125
HP steam boilers that use an average of 10,000 gallons and up to 14,000
gallons of water a day. If you think the salt is expensive the gas bill for
last MONTH was $40,750. And that is not at full production capacity.

I remember now You run a factory. Or a very big house. I can't
remember everything! :-( Neither can some of the other readers you
had fun with. !

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message
I remember now You run a factory. Or a very big house. I can't
remember everything! :-( Neither can some of the other readers you
had fun with. !

Yep, similar to a home setup, but a much larger scale. Spending $2000 a
year on salt saves a lot of money. Boilers must have good water and
chemicals are needed to keep things in balance. Softeners cut down the
amount of chemicals needed by about $5000 a year, plus reduces maintenance
and increases tube life.

Steam heating re-circulates the water and little is lost. We use the steam
in process and most is lost to atmosphere, some to the water cooling systems
for machines.