Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Ice Dams on roof & Salt Bags

Info only! A roof heater system is not practical as no one is in house
switch the heaters on & off!

I wanted to tell you about my experiment. I have now 4 salt bags on my
roof of
our Deep Creek house. I have filled two pairs of OLD pantyhose with
salt and
threw them up on the house roof in crock area where the water has
leaked into
the house in the past. No water leak seen while we were there however.
None
pre of post salt on roof.
I belive its the ice dam problem. Most likely when a family comes in
after a
snow & puts the heat on in the house. The over hang area is not warm &
causes
an ice dam.
I saw an internet idea about this. I cut the legs off the pantyhose to
mage
two bags from each. No, I do not know what will happen to the empty
panty
hose , but likely may clog gutter!
I used cement safe salt as it could go to the cement ground pad below.
The
bags are on top of the snow, but I really wanted to put them up pre
snow days.
I think rock salt could be used if put up pre snow as the gutters may
not
freeze & clear all the salty water via the drains & not hit the cement.

I think I will try a test here in Bowie also, one leg of regular rock
salt &
one of safe salt. Put on roof next to each other in fall line ( no
plants
below!)& see what happens next snow.

So, if it works, that area of the crotch should clear before the rest
of the
shady roof!

Alan Sung

wrote in message
ups.com...

I wanted to tell you about my experiment. I have now 4 salt bags on my
roof of our Deep Creek house. I have filled two pairs of OLD pantyhose

with
salt and threw them up on the house roof in crock area where the water has
leaked into the house in the past.

.... snip ...

How do you keep them on the roof? Just laying there? Do you have a low
pitched roof?

-al sung

johnny

"Alan Sung" wrote

How do you keep them on the roof? Just laying there? Do you have a low
pitched roof?

Da wife clings to the ridge until spring. She wouldn't want to tear a hole
in a new pair, that's why you use old panty hose.

Al Bundy

&
[...]

This is an old old idea. Yes it can work. Yes it's a lot of work.
It's better to fix the roof system and ventilation or use thermostatic
heat tape and be done with it.

Fogbank

"Al Bundy" wrote in message roups.com...
wrote:
[...]

nice idea but costly. i use salt on an overhang now for 15 years and
it's great - and no damage to the roof.

Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM