Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Would You Buy This House?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:59:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:48:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Doug, Doug, and Non-Dougs: Thanks for the input. I particularly liked
the Gee, I Made a Mistake line of reasoning and will memorize it.

Our family attorney often says that instead of paying a home inspector,
it's a better idea to do exactly what one of "yooz" said--get
individual experts at whatever may need renovation, and get an
estimate.

That gives you a real price, and puts you ahead on time if you do buy
it.

But if you start calling experts for parts of the house that are fine,
they'll stop coming out.

Not if you pay them for coming out. This happens all the time when smart
house shoppers have heating contractors check out furnaces & AC equipment as
part of the inspection process. Other trades will do the same.

Yes, of course. Maybe I misunderstood her. I mean I originally
thought she was only talking about calling for things that clearly
needed repairs. Although I guess even then, if they know the person
doesn't own the house yet, they want to be paid. Seems fair. If the
person actually bought the house and called them for the repair, they
might apply the money previously paid.

House sale lynd UK diy 14 March 11th 06 06:40 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM