Junior Member

Default house buying scotland

I would love some advice, i bought my house from the local authority 2 years ago under the right to buy scheme. I noticed a leak in the ceiling in jan and got a roofer in to quote for fixing tile. during inspection he noticed a number of couples and beams missing in my loft space. my insurance has paid for a structual survey wich has shown these beams were never put in and the suports that were are to thin he is amazed i still have a house an water has seeped through all interior walls affecting the electrics. my insurance will pay for interior damage caused by water but no contracter will carry out the work as the roof is to dangerous. It has been shown that the authority carried out a tempory repair only done when you are aware there is a problem with the structure. I know normaly it is buyer beware but should the authority of told me that there was a structual repair needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

--
mcpheed

Sounds like a question for a 'solicitor'. That is what they call lawyers
over there right?

I don't know how big of a Scottish following this NG has but I guess we'll
find out! Sitting here in Washington state I'm not quite up on Scottish
disclosure requirements. If it helps, I can tell you that if the home was
here and the seller had knowledge of the problem he would be required to
list same on the NWMLS Form 17 'Seller's Disclosure Statement', if it wasn't
listed you would have a legal recourse, but Scottish mileage may vary!

Did you use any kind of a 'buyer's agent? Here that is RE professional who,
at no cost to you the buyer, (splits the commission with the selling agent)
who brokers the deal for you. If you're looking to not have the expense of
a lawyer you might make an inquiry with a RE firm?

Love those bagpipes and love Golf! Always wanted to play St. Albans, my dad
did, but I just never made it that far North when I was in the Isles. Good
luck, let us know how it progresses in case I'm ever in the market for
Scottish RE.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:38:04 +0000, mcpheed
wrote:

[...]

Just fix the damn thing.

If you don't like the house you could always give it
back to the poor ******* you stole it from in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote:

[...]

You can try to point the finger all you want but in the end your only option
is to repair the roof first then repair the damages done by the water last.

Unless you want it get worse first, fix it yourself then try to sue those
responsible for damages later. Its easier when the actual monitary damages
are known as opposed to trying to get someone to agree to repairs of
unspecified amounts. You may spend just as much effort fighting for
compensation but at least it will be fixed sooner.

Its amazing it ever was certified for occupancy. Someone really covered up
a big mistake during its inspection.