Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default where to attach ground wire in plastic box with heat detector

I am attaching some smoke and heat detectors to ceiling boxes. The
boxes are connected by 12-3 where the red wire is for the interconnect
between alarms. The 12-3 is fed off of a standard bedroom circuit.

The 12-3 also has a ground wire, of course. However, the ceiling boxes
for the alarms are plastic. And, the alarms do not have screws to
attach ground wires.

Where should I put the ground in each plastic box? I will pigtail
feed-in and feed-out grounds in each box. Should I do more than this?
And what about the ground in the final alarm box, where there is only a
feed-in wire? Should I just wirenut the ground and let it sit in the
plastic box?

thanks,

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Mike wrote:
I am attaching some smoke and heat detectors to ceiling boxes. The
boxes are connected by 12-3 where the red wire is for the interconnect
between alarms. The 12-3 is fed off of a standard bedroom circuit.

The 12-3 also has a ground wire, of course. However, the ceiling
boxes for the alarms are plastic. And, the alarms do not have screws
to attach ground wires.

Where should I put the ground in each plastic box? I will pigtail
feed-in and feed-out grounds in each box. Should I do more than this?
And what about the ground in the final alarm box, where there is only
a feed-in wire? Should I just wirenut the ground and let it sit in
the plastic box?

thanks,

mh

Note: the following is a guess ...

Do the alarms have metal ears used to secure them to the box? How about
putting a ground wire under one of those ears or under the screw securing
it?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There is no ground attachment for the smoke or heat detector. When all you
have is non conconductive material, you don't connect the ground. If there
is more than one cable in the box, all ground wires must be connected
together

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am attaching some smoke and heat detectors to ceiling boxes. The
boxes are connected by 12-3 where the red wire is for the interconnect
between alarms. The 12-3 is fed off of a standard bedroom circuit.

The 12-3 also has a ground wire, of course. However, the ceiling boxes
for the alarms are plastic. And, the alarms do not have screws to
attach ground wires.

Where should I put the ground in each plastic box? I will pigtail
feed-in and feed-out grounds in each box. Should I do more than this?
And what about the ground in the final alarm box, where there is only a
feed-in wire? Should I just wirenut the ground and let it sit in the
plastic box?

thanks,

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Where I live all plastic boxes have a metal strap that has a screw for to
the ground wire and connects to one of the fixture anchor screws.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
There is no ground attachment for the smoke or heat detector. When all you
have is non conconductive material, you don't connect the ground. If there
is more than one cable in the box, all ground wires must be connected
together

ups.com...