Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raccoons in my chimney!

I have 3 raccoons in my chimney., It is a 3 sided brick chimney with
cellotex on the house side. The trapper I contacted usually smokes them
out..but he won't use fire with the cellotex. it is all chewed up and
they are nesting in it.
I have 3 rectangular clay pipes at the top of the chimney. one has a
cap...this is apparently the flue from the furnace and hot water
heater. the other 2 go down about 6 feet and stop, leaving a wide open
space. I need to cap the 2 clay pipes, but must be sure the 'coons are
out before I do it. Wildlife people say a momma coon will tear a roof
apart if she has babies in there. I have listened with a stethoscope
and dont hear any baby noises.
Any ideas on how to encourage them to leave and stay out while I get
the caps put on?
Humane society suggests loud rap music and a strobe light lowered down
on a long extension...I cant afford a strobe.
I need to repair a few loose brick while I am up there. I have the
caulk recommended by the home store. Any tips? I know I will need to
clean the area..is sweeping good enough or is an acid cleaning with
muriatic needed?
The concrete cap that is set at an angle that surrounds the chimney is
spalled badly, and I will need to replace it. Is the premixed
ceramic-plastic mix a good thing to use there?
Thanks for any and all help. Anybody got any good recepies for racoon
(LOL)
MD

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The Celotex I know is a foamboard company, How can you have a 3 sided
brick chimney, one that is rated and used. Are you sure it isnt all
brick. I smoked out a coon in my chimney with a fire, 1 minute after
the fire went out he climbed back in, so I made a bigger fire then hit
him with a garden hose when he came out, Coons hate being hit with a
hose and water. Start a fire or put a radio in the fireplace, maybe a
bowl of amonia if it draws up , but I dought the fireplace isnt fire
rated. The right way to tuckpoint is mild acid to clean the mortar
after you grind or chop it out, but few ever do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

I once "smoked" out a skunk from under a shed by running a hose that
was connected to the exhaust of a gas engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

please dont hurt the coon, its just rying to make a living. you can get
cheap strope lamps from radio shack, under 20 bucks should cover that.
use the humane society ideas you might try a havehart live trap near
the chimney, then take the coon out in the country and release

I would get a chimey sweep to inspect your chimey with a camera. it can
confirm your tenants have moved and make certain everything else is
ok. well worth the expense.

the celotex on one side concerns me, chimney should be at least all
brick if not lined with tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Throw a hand full of moth balls in there they will eventually evaporate
, in meantime mr. coon will vacate also.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

In article .com,
says...
[...]

They will be leaving the chimney to feed...find where they travel and
place a raccoon trap baitd with sardines. I would not just take it for
a ride and let it go, you can spread canine distemper to healthy animals
in the wild if yours is effected. You probably can find an animal
rescue place to take them in for observation before release
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Lar wrote:

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

Or at least one of them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
German Jerry

If you try the mothball trick or amonia or some other noxious fumes you
may want to make a vapor barrier to your home so the fumes dont enter
the living area. Also you want to stop fleas and ticks from entering as
well. Im afraid your damper might not be up to that task. You may want
to put in a Chimney Balloon down low in the chimney by the flue. I
bought mine at www.chimneyballoon.us
and it worked well to keep draft out. I bet it would hold back the
fumes and fleas as well.

If the coon decends and demands entry though, that balloon aint gonna
stop him and neither will your damper.
German Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Lar wrote:

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

Or at least one of them.

Yeah, but we would be hip-deep in manure by now if he had. All mother
nature's creatures serve a purpose.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

Lar wrote:

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

Or at least one of them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Only works if he didn't leave the pregnant one alive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein

wrote in message
oups.com...
please dont hurt the coon, its just rying to make a living. you can get
cheap strope lamps from radio shack, under 20 bucks should cover that.
use the humane society ideas you might try a havehart live trap near
the chimney, then take the coon out in the country and release

I don't know about where you live, but transporting live wildlife and
releasing them can get you is serious trouble in certain parts of the
country. It sounds very humane, but I was told not to do it in St. Louis
(Missouri) county.

I would get a chimey sweep to inspect your chimey with a camera. it can
confirm your tenants have moved and make certain everything else is
ok. well worth the expense.

the celotex on one side concerns me, chimney should be at least all
brick if not lined with tile.

--
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Herb Stein" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
oups.com...
please dont hurt the coon, its just rying to make a living. you can get
cheap strope lamps from radio shack, under 20 bucks should cover that.
use the humane society ideas you might try a havehart live trap near
the chimney, then take the coon out in the country and release

I don't know about where you live, but transporting live wildlife and
releasing them can get you is serious trouble in certain parts of the
country. It sounds very humane, but I was told not to do it in St. Louis
(Missouri) county.

I'm wondering why the guy who started this thread hasn't simply called the
local animal control office.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 11 Mar 2006 05:29:28 -0800, "
wrote:

please dont hurt the coon, its just rying to make a living. you can get
cheap strope lamps from radio shack, under 20 bucks should cover that.

Doesn't seem too high. I was thinking of a pawn shop. Don't bands
pawn these things when they break up, or decide to do without frills?

use the humane society ideas you might try a havehart live trap near
the chimney, then take the coon out in the country and release

I would get a chimey sweep to inspect your chimey with a camera. it can
confirm your tenants have moved and make certain everything else is
ok. well worth the expense.

the celotex on one side concerns me, chimney should be at least all
brick if not lined with tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 03:36:58 GMT, "Herb Stein"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
please dont hurt the coon, its just rying to make a living. you can get
cheap strope lamps from radio shack, under 20 bucks should cover that.
use the humane society ideas you might try a havehart live trap near
the chimney, then take the coon out in the country and release

I don't know about where you live, but transporting live wildlife and
releasing them can get you is serious trouble in certain parts of the
country. It sounds very humane, but I was told not to do it in St. Louis
(Missouri) county.

Did you know that July 4, 1876 was the day that St. Louis seceded from
St. Louis county. Or vice versa. I just heard that on the radio
today.

bought mine at www.chimneyballoon.us

I don't know how much this costs, but I wonder if you couldn't just
use a car or truck inner tube. When I was going tubing 10 years ago,
I bought some used at truck tire stores for 5 or 8 or 10 dollars, I
forget. Buy one of those and when you're done you can use it for
tubing. (floating down a stream or river.)

and it worked well to keep draft out. I bet it would hold back the
fumes and fleas as well.

If the coon decends and demands entry though, that balloon aint gonna
stop him and neither will your damper.
German Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Lar wrote:

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

Or at least one of them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Only works if he didn't leave the pregnant one alive.

As I always say, "women and children first"

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Lar wrote:

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

Or at least one of them.

Joseph Meehan

Only works if he didn't leave the pregnant one alive.

As I always say, "women and children first"

She-flies and maggots first?

bought mine at www.chimneyballoon.us
and it worked well to keep draft out. I bet it would hold back the
fumes and fleas as well.

If the coon decends and demands entry though, that balloon aint gonna
stop him and neither will your damper.
German Jerry

Had a squirrel come down my chimney once. That teeny weeny little
squirrel out in the trees looks a lot bigger when he's sitting on your
mantel staring down the cat. I can only imagine what a raccoon in the
living room must look like.

how to convert brick chimney to metal pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 02:17 PM
Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 04:36 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM