Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Evap Cooler water runs through pads too fast!

Hi,
TRADEWINDS EVAPORATIVE COOLER with a 5000 (?) pump. and the
green , honeycombed paper pads.

I've got a cooler problem it and I don't know how to solve it:

The water comes down over the pads so fast that it dribbles over the
louvres and on to the roof, and then down to the side of the house.

Should I switch to pads that are more tightly packed? Should I buy a
smaller pump., say 4500?

Just what is the ceapest and most effective way to fix my problem.
Should I restrict the water flow? I don't think that wuld be right!

Help please...it's getting hotter in Arizona~~~
Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Wood

Mike wrote:
The water comes down over the pads so fast that it dribbles over the
louvres and on to the roof, and then down to the side of the house.
Should I switch to pads that are more tightly packed? Should I buy a
smaller pump., say 4500?

I haven't seen the paper pads, but suspect that their pores might
get gummed up with minerals if your water is hard.

Sounds to me like you want something LESS tightly packed, like
the thick pads made of aspen noodles (like the noodles put on top of
chow mein). These have plenty of space for the water to enter and wet
the fibers, and are available in a range of sizes, say 28"x28" up to
32"x32" at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Mike wrote:
Hi,
TRADEWINDS EVAPORATIVE COOLER with a 5000 (?) pump. and the
green , honeycombed paper pads.

I've got a cooler problem it and I don't know how to solve it:

The water comes down over the pads so fast that it dribbles over the
louvres and on to the roof, and then down to the side of the house.

Should I switch to pads that are more tightly packed? Should I buy a
smaller pump., say 4500?

Just what is the ceapest and most effective way to fix my problem.
Should I restrict the water flow? I don't think that wuld be right!

Help please...it's getting hotter in Arizona~~~
Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

I would say the water is running too fast but for some reason it is
leaking on to the louvers. I have used the same pads and they worked
very good. I like them because they have lots of surface area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

They make a little metal clamp that you put over your water supply hose
between the pump and the water distribution tubes. You can tighten it to
pinch the hose and slow down the water flow. There is no need to change the
pads or pump until they wear out.

kontico

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
TRADEWINDS EVAPORATIVE COOLER with a 5000 (?) pump. and the
green , honeycombed paper pads.

I've got a cooler problem it and I don't know how to solve it:

The water comes down over the pads so fast that it dribbles over the
louvres and on to the roof, and then down to the side of the house.

Should I switch to pads that are more tightly packed? Should I buy a
smaller pump., say 4500?

Just what is the ceapest and most effective way to fix my problem.
Should I restrict the water flow? I don't think that wuld be right!

Help please...it's getting hotter in Arizona~~~
Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D

Hi Mike, I assume your cooler is a square type, correct? (Not the older
round jobs?)

If it is indeed a cubical unit, with 3,or 4 pads, and this is the stock
pump (a 5000 is actually not that big, I use an 11000 on mine) I think
what is happening then, is that the little holes in the V-Shaped troughs
at the top of your metal Panel frames have become plugged, and not
permitting the water to flow down the the Media Panels. This is easy to
observe too, when the cooler is first started up, you can examine the
flow, and see where there are any dry spots on the pads. Directly above
then, this is where the troughs will be plugged (Most likely with Alkali
deposits.

If I am indeed correct about this, that water is lying up there, and
thats where your water is leaking from out onto the roof, then check
these holes.

Either take a putty knife, and scrape these troughs, clearing the
deposits away from the trough (A garden hose, or a old paintbrush will
work) and if that doesn't work, then take a Cordless drill, and small
bit 5/32" and drill a 1/2 dozen more holes per panel trough to let the
water flow down better to reach the Pads. I had to do this with mine a
couple of times.
Hope this helps, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D

The other thing you must make sure of, it that the spider spray bars are
properly positioned over the troughs. Sorry I forgot to add that. It's
easy to do, by pulling one cover, and insuring all are in their proper
places. Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Mark D" wrote in message
The other thing you must make sure of, it that the spider spray bars are
properly positioned over the troughs. Sorry I forgot to add that. It's
easy to do, by pulling one cover, and insuring all are in their proper
places. Mark

And, it is good to pull all the lines off and inspect the hub and lines for
pieces of debris. Just a quick and easy way to start off knowing that water
is flowing properly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Tradewinds coolers do not have distribution arms like the metal cooler.
They have a pvc pipe going around the top of the cooler.

You might have a mineral build up at the holes in the pipe causing the
water to squirt towards the outside of the cooler or as mentioned above,
the spreader trough at the top of the pads may be clogged interfering with
even distribution of the water across the pad. Make sure that the water is
not overflowing the trough.

The green paper, waffle, "CoolPad" is not the "stock" pad supplied by
Tradewinds. When new, Tradewinds supplies the blue synthetic, foamed
polyester, "Aqua Pad". It looks somewhat like a blue ScotchBrite. Either
pad can be used but, I have had many reports about "channeling". That is,
water running down the pad in rivulets instead of spreading out evenly
across the pad. In my book I still recommend the aspen pads.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:
www.easycoolercare.com

Larry Galpin
The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save
$100s Every Year!