Posted to alt.home.repair
coolerdoctor coolerdoctor is offline

Default Evap Cooler water runs through pads too fast!

The Tradewinds coolers do not have distribution arms like the metal cooler.
They have a pvc pipe going around the top of the cooler.

You might have a mineral build up at the holes in the pipe causing the
water to squirt towards the outside of the cooler or as mentioned above,
the spreader trough at the top of the pads may be clogged interfering with
even distribution of the water across the pad. Make sure that the water is
not overflowing the trough.

The green paper, waffle, "CoolPad" is not the "stock" pad supplied by
Tradewinds. When new, Tradewinds supplies the blue synthetic, foamed
polyester, "Aqua Pad". It looks somewhat like a blue ScotchBrite. Either
pad can be used but, I have had many reports about "channeling". That is,
water running down the pad in rivulets instead of spreading out evenly
across the pad. In my book I still recommend the aspen pads.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:
www.easycoolercare.com

Larry Galpin
The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save
$100s Every Year!