Posted to alt.home.repair
nfalconer

Default Cultured Granite Mistake

We had a shower pan made out of cultured granite for our bathroom remodel.
It was a dark color with flecks of red, white and grey (looks better than it
sounds). However, we noticed that it only looks like the color we asked for
when it's wet. As soon as it dries it turns really faded and almost
whitish. It looks horrible.

Apparently the contractor realized that they poured it using the wrong type
of wax. He says if he sands it down enough then it should look correct.
This shower pan isn't a flat surface only, though. It's got a front
(entrance) lip and three sides going up the wall about 4 inches. Is he
going to be able to sand the entire surface? We are afraid this thing is
going to turn out bad.

And this was the one and only time I ever tried having something custom made
for a remodel...

Posted to alt.home.repair

have him sand it what do you have to lose? if its still bad get them to
replace it...

it was their mistake.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Weatherlawyer

nfalconer wrote:
We had a shower pan made out of cultured granite for our bathroom remodel.
It was a dark color with flecks of red, white and grey (looks better than it
sounds). However, we noticed that it only looks like the color we asked for
when it's wet. As soon as it dries it turns really faded and almost
whitish. It looks horrible.

Apparently the contractor realized that they poured it using the wrong type
of wax. He says if he sands it down enough then it should look correct.
This shower pan isn't a flat surface only, though. It's got a front
(entrance) lip and three sides going up the wall about 4 inches. Is he
going to be able to sand the entire surface? We are afraid this thing is
going to turn out bad.

And this was the one and only time I ever tried having something custom made
for a remodel...

Is this thing in the living room or entrance hall or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg G

On 8 Mar 2006 23:45:48 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

nfalconer wrote:
[...]

A shower in the living room? Must be a McMansion thing.

Actually, my wife and I once stayed in a hotel in Switzerland where
that was essentially the case. The hotel room was quite large and
obviously not designed as a hotel room. There was no bathroom, that
being down the hall. It did have a shower stall though. It was a
sheet-metal box about exactly the size of a phone booth, for those old
enough to remember phone booths. It felt very odd to step out of the
shower into a fairly ornate "parlor" style room. This is not to
mention the noise. My wife did OK, but the shower fit *me* like a
glove. I must have hit the drum-like sides of the unit a few dozen
times with my elbows. It sounded like movie thunder. Still, a fun
memory.

Greg Guarino