Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stripping paint from door frames

I bought Kleen Strip "sprayable" paint stripper, but found 6 layers of
paint and varnish were just too much to do easily. I gave it 4 coats
over about a 90 minute period with lots of scraping and I still don't
have it clean down to the wood.

Are there any products recommented for horizontal door trim with paint
made prior to 1958 (ie lead)? I've heard there's a sort of gel one can
buy now.

As it was, I wore the gloves, mask, goggles, had fans running, etc.

The shame is the varnish/shellac was STUNNING in a sort of rich oxblood
brown / cany apple sort of look. Can that be repeated with modern
materials?

Did I just ask a two-part question?

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought Kleen Strip "sprayable" paint stripper, but found 6 layers of
paint and varnish were just too much to do easily. I gave it 4 coats
over about a 90 minute period with lots of scraping and I still don't
have it clean down to the wood.

Are there any products recommented for horizontal door trim with paint
made prior to 1958 (ie lead)? I've heard there's a sort of gel one can
buy now.

As it was, I wore the gloves, mask, goggles, had fans running, etc.

The shame is the varnish/shellac was STUNNING in a sort of rich oxblood
brown / cany apple sort of look. Can that be repeated with modern
materials?

Did I just ask a two-part question?

Don

Have you tried a heat gun? I've had good results using one of them to help
soften the paint before scraping.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Baron

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I bought Kleen Strip "sprayable" paint stripper, but found 6 layers of
paint and varnish were just too much to do easily. I gave it 4 coats
over about a 90 minute period with lots of scraping and I still don't
have it clean down to the wood.

Are there any products recommented for horizontal door trim with paint
made prior to 1958 (ie lead)? I've heard there's a sort of gel one
can buy now.

As it was, I wore the gloves, mask, goggles, had fans running, etc.

The shame is the varnish/shellac was STUNNING in a sort of rich
oxblood brown / cany apple sort of look. Can that be repeated with
modern materials?

Did I just ask a two-part question?

Don

There are all kinds of products around. I have heard of one that

comes
with a material like canvas with it. It is soaked and laid on the work
where it is left to do it's job then removed. It may have had a moisture
resistance backing to keep it from drying out as it did the job.

The real truth of the matter is that some jobs are just very difficult
to do and take a lot of hand work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

The product that Joseph Meehan is probably referring to is called
"Peel-Away". It comes in different types. They all use a cheesecloth type
cover that keeps the stripper wet and then enables you to peel off the
finish. It is handy when stripping lead paint since the material is left
encapsulated. It is tedious to use, however.

Of course, the finish that you see with the clear coat can be duplicated
but you have to know how to do it. After stripping, the wood will have lost
its patina but it can be finished in a way that will make it look just like
the patina is still present.

As previously stated, architectural stripping is never pleasant. It
involves a lot of preparation.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Ken wrote:

They say that it is bad to use a heat gun on lead based paint because
it makes fumes that will put the lead into the air and then when you
breathe it goes into your lungs and your bloodstream, and cause all
sort of bad things to happen.

"They" are right.

My totally unexpert judgement says that
since I'm and adult (not a child susceptible to lead), and that I'm
doing this as a homeowner on my own house (not a professional that does
it every day for a living), then the negative effect on my body is
limited. I strip 3 or 4 windows or door jambs a year, so it's not like
I'm doing it all the time.

Lead accumulates in the body over time. If you're intent on checking
out, there are faster ways to do it.

And of course I have the whole area taped
off with plastic sheets, and fans running full blast removing the
contaminated air from inside the house to the outdoors.

That's a good start, but if you're not wearing a respirator rated for
lead removal, you're doing yourself a disservice. The respirators are
cheap.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...& sa=N&tab=wf
http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/lead/leadbroc.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Baron wrote:

The product that Joseph Meehan is probably referring to is called
"Peel-Away". It comes in different types. They all use a cheesecloth type
cover that keeps the stripper wet and then enables you to peel off the
finish. It is handy when stripping lead paint since the material is left
encapsulated. It is tedious to use, however.

The fabric makes the paint removal a lot less tedious. You brush on
the remover, lay the fabric on and press it into the remover. Then you
go away for a day or two. When you strip off the fabric, almost all of
the paint, even many layers worth, come with it. There is a bit of
cleanup required in the nooks and crannies, but it's a lot less work
than scraping.

If there's lead paint present, it's really the only way to go.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 9 December 6th 05 11:41 PM
Paint stripping and rust prevention? Terry Keeley Metalworking 10 October 27th 05 09:36 PM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM