Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_Boat

Default stripping paint from door frames

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I bought Kleen Strip "sprayable" paint stripper, but found 6 layers of
paint and varnish were just too much to do easily. I gave it 4 coats
over about a 90 minute period with lots of scraping and I still don't
have it clean down to the wood.

Are there any products recommented for horizontal door trim with paint
made prior to 1958 (ie lead)? I've heard there's a sort of gel one
can buy now.

As it was, I wore the gloves, mask, goggles, had fans running, etc.

The shame is the varnish/shellac was STUNNING in a sort of rich
oxblood brown / cany apple sort of look. Can that be repeated with
modern materials?

Did I just ask a two-part question?

Don

There are all kinds of products around. I have heard of one that comes
with a material like canvas with it. It is soaked and laid on the work
where it is left to do it's job then removed. It may have had a moisture
resistance backing to keep it from drying out as it did the job.

The real truth of the matter is that some jobs are just very difficult
to do and take a lot of hand work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If you aren't in a hurry, there is a product called Redi-Strip that works
very well, is water based, and does not smell at all. It is however, very
slow. If it dries out, you can just spray water on it to reactivate it.

LJ