Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg G

Default Filling up space around electrical conduit

I live in an attached brick house. My garage is in the first floor of
the house. I needed some outlets in the home office room that is
adjacent to the garage, so I ran EMT conduit on the garage side of the
(cinder block) wall and then drilled through the wall for each outlet
on the other side.

This has left some crevices for air to pass through. It isn't really a
big deal, but I do keep a car in the garage. I was wondering if any of
the expanding foam products would be OK to fill the holes. I'm
guessing that at least a little of it might be able to get into the
electrical box, through some unused mounting holes. Is this a problem?

Greg Guarino
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Greg G wrote:
I live in an attached brick house. My garage is in the first floor of
the house. I needed some outlets in the home office room that is
adjacent to the garage, so I ran EMT conduit on the garage side of the
(cinder block) wall and then drilled through the wall for each outlet
on the other side.

This has left some crevices for air to pass through. It isn't really a
big deal, but I do keep a car in the garage. I was wondering if any of
the expanding foam products would be OK to fill the holes. I'm
guessing that at least a little of it might be able to get into the
electrical box, through some unused mounting holes. Is this a problem?

Well, the stuff is flammable, it might not be a problem but why not use
a product that wouldn't have the concern? Like caulk. How much or a
gap is there?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
ps.com...

RicodJour wrote:
Greg G wrote:
I live in an attached brick house. My garage is in the first floor of
the house. I needed some outlets in the home office room that is
adjacent to the garage, so I ran EMT conduit on the garage side of the
(cinder block) wall and then drilled through the wall for each outlet
on the other side.

This has left some crevices for air to pass through. It isn't really a
big deal, but I do keep a car in the garage. I was wondering if any of
the expanding foam products would be OK to fill the holes. I'm
guessing that at least a little of it might be able to get into the
electrical box, through some unused mounting holes. Is this a problem?

Well, the stuff is flammable, it might not be a problem but why not use
a product that wouldn't have the concern? Like caulk. How much or a
gap is there?

Wouldn't code require fire separation?
TB

At the very least he just punched holes in a firewall. Fire sealing would be
appropiate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Greg G" wrote in message
I live in an attached brick house. My garage is in the first floor of
the house. I needed some outlets in the home office room that is
adjacent to the garage, so I ran EMT conduit on the garage side of the
(cinder block) wall and then drilled through the wall for each outlet
on the other side.

This has left some crevices for air to pass through. It isn't really a
big deal, but I do keep a car in the garage. I was wondering if any of
the expanding foam products would be OK to fill the holes. I'm
guessing that at least a little of it might be able to get into the
electrical box, through some unused mounting holes. Is this a problem?

Greg Guarino

You can buy a product at Home Depot in the electrical section or at an
electrical supply house called "Duct Seal". Use it to fill the holes
penetrating the wall. You should also use it inside any of the conduit that
passes through the wall. It is a putty like substance that will not cause
any harm to the wires. If you knead it a little it becomes more pliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"RicodJour" wrote in message
Well, the stuff is flammable, it might not be a problem but why not use
a product that wouldn't have the concern? Like caulk. How much or a
gap is there?

Not a concern with this stuff
http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/pro/fireblock.htm

Electrical conduit. PVR Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 01:02 AM
1950s conduit and modern electrical fittings Hamish UK diy 5 October 7th 03 10:13 AM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM