Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Legal to use this wire for home wiring?

No, it would have to be listed with U.L. and NEC for the purpose

"Ignoramus22178" wrote in message
I have a big spool of 10 gauge, 4 conductor stranded wire that is
rated up to 200C. The wire is 4 conductors twisted together (no outer
shell), each conductor is stranded 10 gauge. The wires are rated up to
200C. The strands are 26 gauge.

My question is, would it be legal to use this wire for home wiring.

All wires are brown color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM rbm2(remove wrote:

No, it would have to be listed with U.L. and NEC for the purpose

Then again, it sounds perfectly safe. IMO, we need to question
these alien code enforcers and their wacky ways.

"Ignoramus22178" wrote:

I have a big spool of 10 gauge, 4 conductor stranded wire that is
rated up to 200C. The wire is 4 conductors twisted together (no outer
shell), each conductor is stranded 10 gauge. The wires are rated up to
200C. The strands are 26 gauge.

My question is, would it be legal to use this wire for home wiring.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 23 Feb 2006 17:45:44 -0500, wrote:

RBM rbm2(remove wrote:

No, it would have to be listed with U.L. and NEC for the purpose

Then again, it sounds perfectly safe. IMO, we need to question
these alien code enforcers and their wacky ways.

Are you even allowed to put stranded behind a wall?

Very large gague wire (#6 and greater) is usually stranded but each strand
is like a #14 by itself. I don't think the prohibition is against stranded
per se but the way it is terminated is incompatible with common devices like
20A receptacles and side screw terminals. A given receptacle will be marked
with the approved wire sizes. A compression screw terminal can generally
accept stranded wire but only one.

As for color, Code allows for non standard colors to be used as long as the
conductor is identified by the proper color tape at each end. Not a great
idea IMO if you can avoid it. For example the SE wire (for a 200A service)
only came in black, I had to tape off the neutral with white electrical tape
to identify it. The inspector and power company guy had no problem with
that.

Jacketed 4 cond #10 cable is similar to cable intended for 30A dyer
installations. If there are markings embossed on the jacket, it will reviel
if it is allowed, markings might be on the jacket or the conductors
themselves. Is one conductor a smaller ground. What was the original use
for this cable. Such a cable with solid conductors would be very hard to
flex. My dryer is connected using simialr wires but unjacketed in a
conduit. A 30A receptacle or hardwired using wire nuts may be allowed.

Removed from the jacket, this would be great for automotive amplifier
installs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article et, "PipeDown" wrote:

As for color, Code allows for non standard colors to be used as long as the
conductor is identified by the proper color tape at each end.

Not correct. The equipment grounding conductor, if insulated at all, is
required to have a *continuous* covering of green or green with a yellow
stripe. There are a couple of exceptions, but they don't apply in a
residential application. [NEC 2005 Art. 250.119]

Similarly, the grounded (neutral) conductor is required to have a *continuous*
covering of white, gray, or three white stripes on some color other than
green, unless it's larger than 6 AWG. [Art. 200.6]

Not a great
idea IMO if you can avoid it. For example the SE wire (for a 200A service)
only came in black, I had to tape off the neutral with white electrical tape
to identify it. The inspector and power company guy had no problem with
that.

As always, the local inspector has the final say. The Code specifically
provides that local inspection/enforcement authority may waive any portion of
the Code.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
volts500

Ignoramus12893 wrote:

I just checked, it is rated for 600 volts RMS.

CXFK VOLTAGE RATING 600.0 MAXIMUM ROOT MEAN SQUARE (RMS) OPERATING
VOLTAGE ALL CONDUCTORS

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...able/niin.html

There's not much use for that wire in a house, although you may be able
to use it to re-wire damaged "high" temperature appliances like ranges,
water heaters, heating elements, HID light fixtures, etc. Those
appliances usually use 105C or 150C wire at the most, so 200C would be
OK. If you sell it, I'd keep at least 10 feet of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

volts500 wrote:

I just checked, it is rated for 600 volts RMS.

There's not much use for that wire in a house, although you may be able
to use it to re-wire damaged "high" temperature appliances...

Yeah. It's wouldn't work in a wall at less than 150 C :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to PipeDown :

As for color, Code allows for non standard colors to be used as long as the
conductor is identified by the proper color tape at each end. Not a great
idea IMO if you can avoid it. For example the SE wire (for a 200A service)
only came in black, I had to tape off the neutral with white electrical tape
to identify it. The inspector and power company guy had no problem with
that.

There's a specific exemption for service conductors. It's more complicated
with circuit conductors. You can mark a white conductor black to indicate
it's hot. But you can't do the reverse.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Ignoramus22178 :
RBM rbm2(remove wrote:

No, it would have to be listed with U.L. and NEC for the purpose

Then again, it sounds perfectly safe. IMO, we need to question
these alien code enforcers and their wacky ways.

This is military surplus cable. I will check, but my common sense
suggests that it should be rated for safety. I will check it out.

Rated for safety in _that_ environment. Not necessarily another.
There's more to safety than voltage or temperature rating.
Eg: flexibility, brittleness, cold-fracturing, what happens if it burns etc.

Wiring has to pass specific tests appropriate to the intended environment
before it's approved for that environment.

While there's a good chance that the wiring is perfectly suitable
for house wiring (except for color coding), as it hasn't been been
tested and approved for house wiring, it's inadvisable to use it from
the perspective of code compliance, inspections etc.

Chances are that it exceeds house wiring in all respects, but is
overkill, too expensive for house wiring, and the manufacturers of
it didn't bother to get it approved, because nobody in their right
minds would consider paying the premium for it to buy the stuff at
the price they'd have to charge for it.

But, if it's not been approved, it's still a bad idea to use it.

[I've already see you make the right choice - keep a bit, and sell
the rest. The above is just an clarification.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est