Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Legal to use this wire for home wiring?

According to Ignoramus22178 :
On 23 Feb 2006 17:45:44 -0500, wrote:
RBM rbm2(remove wrote:

No, it would have to be listed with U.L. and NEC for the purpose

Then again, it sounds perfectly safe. IMO, we need to question
these alien code enforcers and their wacky ways.

This is military surplus cable. I will check, but my common sense
suggests that it should be rated for safety. I will check it out.

Rated for safety in _that_ environment. Not necessarily another.
There's more to safety than voltage or temperature rating.
Eg: flexibility, brittleness, cold-fracturing, what happens if it burns etc.

Wiring has to pass specific tests appropriate to the intended environment
before it's approved for that environment.

While there's a good chance that the wiring is perfectly suitable
for house wiring (except for color coding), as it hasn't been been
tested and approved for house wiring, it's inadvisable to use it from
the perspective of code compliance, inspections etc.

Chances are that it exceeds house wiring in all respects, but is
overkill, too expensive for house wiring, and the manufacturers of
it didn't bother to get it approved, because nobody in their right
minds would consider paying the premium for it to buy the stuff at
the price they'd have to charge for it.

But, if it's not been approved, it's still a bad idea to use it.

[I've already see you make the right choice - keep a bit, and sell
the rest. The above is just an clarification.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est