Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Box Spring won't go upstair

I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

You can buy box springs in two halves. Call around to some bed stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BiloxiBoy wrote:
Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland.
Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window
from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!

Had an aunt, about 10 years ago, same sort of situation with a sofa for
a family room.

Finally had to actually remove window and all framing and just barely
got the thing in the house and then replace the window. Luckily there
were several relatives who had some building experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

louie wrote:

I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

That worked for me when we moved into this house 20 years ago. I made
one cut at about the middle of each side and spliced the cuts with
strips of hardwood screwed on, set inboard just enough to clear the
angle iron sides of the bed frame.

That spring is still working fine, though I think we're on our third
mattress now.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

"When all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails...
:-) "

LOL, or maybe a related thought that just popped in right now:

When all you desire to use is a hammer, it's time to go buy some nails
and think about it a little bit, you may end up with unused nails, but
you'll have fewer holes in your walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On 23 Feb 2006 11:08:39 -0800, "louie" wrote:

| I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
| that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
| co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
| of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
| plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
| this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
| cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
| back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
| cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
| have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
| metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
| but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

I did something like this when our "full" bed box springs wouldn't fit
up the stairs in our 85-year-old house. It's strange -- the house is
pretty large, but the stairs are uncommonly narrow and the ceiling on
the landing is low and sloping (I think some previous owner lowered it
after some damage in a previous life).

What I did was pull back the cloth covering the box springs and remove
the staples and brace from one corner of the springs. I could then
compress the whole unit into a parallelogram and could then ease the
springs around the bend in the stairs and under the low ceiling. Once
I got them into the room, I rebuilt the springs and stapled the cloth
back down.

When I replaced the mattress set a year or so ago, I special ordered a
split spring set. Cost just a little more and well worth it. You don't
notice the split at all when sleeping, although I did have to engineer
a center brace on the bed frame to support the two halves in the
middle.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

1) Buy a smaller box spring
2) Buy a larger house
3) Remove a window
4) Cut in a larger window or patio door and patio/deck
5) Leave the bed downstairs and sleep there

Leave the bed at the previous home and sleep there.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:11:02 GMT, "Tom"
wrote:

Everybody had a better idea than I. I used a hammer and busted out the wall
to get the box spring up the stairs. But then it was over 30 years ago and
I was a kid in my twenties...what did I know? Took me a couple of years to
get around to patching up the mess.

I used to use a big office desk that had the bottom 4 inches of the
legs cut off. It was resting on 4" pieces of 4x4". Someone who
didn't know that the top unscrews cut the legs off to get it through a
door. At least you were able to patch the wall. No decent way to
fix the desk.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

also the new thermal foam mattresses ship deflated and the base they
need can alternatively be the simply the floor or sturdy base storage
drawer units with a flat wooden top.