DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Box Spring won't go upstair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/146129-box-spring-wont-go-upstair.html)

[email protected] February 23rd 06 06:41 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

Doug Kanter February 23rd 06 06:52 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

You can buy box springs in two halves. Call around to some bed stores.

louie February 23rd 06 07:08 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

badgolferman February 23rd 06 07:29 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

, 2/23/2006, 1:41:12 PM,
.com wrote:

I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs
to be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

Can you bring it in through the window? If you have a carpenter friend
they may be able to remove and reinstall the window quickly. The
opening should be pretty close.

BiloxiBoy February 23rd 06 09:51 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

wrote:
I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland.
Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window
from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!

[email protected] February 23rd 06 10:37 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

BiloxiBoy wrote:
Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland.
Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window
from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!

Had an aunt, about 10 years ago, same sort of situation with a sofa for
a family room.

Finally had to actually remove window and all framing and just barely
got the thing in the house and then replace the window. Luckily there
were several relatives who had some building experience.

Doug Miller February 23rd 06 10:45 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

In article .com, wrote:
I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

One option, believe it or not, is to buy a king-size bed: the box spring is in
two parts, and if you can get a queen-size mattress up the stairs, you should
have no trouble getting each half of the king-size box springs up there. Then
you just have to worry about getting the king-size mattress up, but since
that's flexible, it might not present a problem.

I don't know if queen-size box springs are available in two-part sets like
kings are, but it wouldn't hurt to spend a bit of time calling furniture
stores to find out.

--
Regards,

mm February 23rd 06 11:15 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

On 23 Feb 2006 14:37:55 -0800, wrote:

BiloxiBoy wrote:
Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland.
Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window
from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!

Had an aunt, about 10 years ago, same sort of situation with a sofa for

I had an aunt like that too. Had to remove the window. Tried going
down the stairs by folding her in half but that didn't work.

a family room.

Finally had to actually remove window and all framing and just barely
got the thing in the house and then replace the window. Luckily there
were several relatives who had some building experience.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Ron February 24th 06 02:34 AM

Box Spring won't go upstair

Bubba wrote:
On 23 Feb 2006 10:41:12 -0800, wrote:

I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box
spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough
to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to
be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing
happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck
between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

1) Buy a smaller box spring
2) Buy a larger house
3) Remove a window
4) Cut in a larger window or patio door and patio/deck
5) Leave the bed downstairs and sleep there
Bubba

There is no wonder why------------------Note: The author of this
message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed
from Groups in 6 days (Mar 2, 8:23 pm).

Jeff Wisnia February 24th 06 03:36 AM

Box Spring won't go upstair

louie wrote:

I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

That worked for me when we moved into this house 20 years ago. I made
one cut at about the middle of each side and spliced the cuts with
strips of hardwood screwed on, set inboard just enough to clear the
angle iron sides of the bed frame.

That spring is still working fine, though I think we're on our third
mattress now.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

louie February 24th 06 02:31 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

"When all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails...
:-) "

LOL, or maybe a related thought that just popped in right now:

When all you desire to use is a hammer, it's time to go buy some nails
and think about it a little bit, you may end up with unused nails, but
you'll have fewer holes in your walls.

Cue February 24th 06 06:53 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

On 23 Feb 2006 11:08:39 -0800, "louie" wrote:

| I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from
| that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A
| co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back
| of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal
| plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims
| this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying
| cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the
| back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be
| cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to
| have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The
| metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly,
| but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

I did something like this when our "full" bed box springs wouldn't fit
up the stairs in our 85-year-old house. It's strange -- the house is
pretty large, but the stairs are uncommonly narrow and the ceiling on
the landing is low and sloping (I think some previous owner lowered it
after some damage in a previous life).

What I did was pull back the cloth covering the box springs and remove
the staples and brace from one corner of the springs. I could then
compress the whole unit into a parallelogram and could then ease the
springs around the bend in the stairs and under the low ceiling. Once
I got them into the room, I rebuilt the springs and stapled the cloth
back down.

When I replaced the mattress set a year or so ago, I special ordered a
split spring set. Cost just a little more and well worth it. You don't
notice the split at all when sleeping, although I did have to engineer
a center brace on the bed frame to support the two halves in the
middle.

Cue February 24th 06 06:57 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

On 23 Feb 2006 14:37:55 -0800, wrote:

| BiloxiBoy wrote:
| Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland.
| Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window
| from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!
|
| Had an aunt, about 10 years ago, same sort of situation with a sofa for
| a family room.
|
| Finally had to actually remove window and all framing and just barely
| got the thing in the house and then replace the window. Luckily there
| were several relatives who had some building experience.

We did that when we put a sofa into our second-floor TV room. It went
up a ladder and through the window easily (after the delivery people
tried for two hours to get it up the stairs -- I told 'em it wouldn't
fit and to use the window, but noooooo).

We recently replaced the sofa with two recliners and instead of using
two men, a ladder, and the window, I got out my reciprocating saw and
just chopped it up into pieces and took them all down the stairs
myself,

Cue February 24th 06 07:00 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:45:57 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

[snip]

| I don't know if queen-size box springs are available in two-part sets like
| kings are, but it wouldn't hurt to spend a bit of time calling furniture
| stores to find out.

Based on my experience, you need to go to a store that specializes in
mattresses. The department stores and regular furniture stores have
never heard of split springs except for a king bed.

mm February 24th 06 09:28 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

1) Buy a smaller box spring
2) Buy a larger house
3) Remove a window
4) Cut in a larger window or patio door and patio/deck
5) Leave the bed downstairs and sleep there

Leave the bed at the previous home and sleep there.

mm February 24th 06 09:31 PM

Box Spring won't go upstair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:11:02 GMT, "Tom"
wrote:

Everybody had a better idea than I. I used a hammer and busted out the wall
to get the box spring up the stairs. But then it was over 30 years ago and
I was a kid in my twenties...what did I know? Took me a couple of years to
get around to patching up the mess.

I used to use a big office desk that had the bottom 4 inches of the
legs cut off. It was resting on 4" pieces of 4x4". Someone who
didn't know that the top unscrews cut the legs off to get it through a
door. At least you were able to patch the wall. No decent way to
fix the desk.

buffalobill February 25th 06 12:46 AM

Box Spring won't go upstair

also the new thermal foam mattresses ship deflated and the base they
need can alternatively be the simply the floor or sturdy base storage
drawer units with a flat wooden top.