Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
MikeP

Default Drill leaks electricity to case

In article 8f_Kf.3814$6H4.366
@fe28.usenetserver.com, ignoramus3408
@NOSPAM.3408.invalid says...
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker.

My question is, what is the most likely culprit and how to approach
repair of it.

It trips GFCI outlets; repair it or cut the cord off
and throw it away.

If you need to ask how to repair it ... cut the cord
off and throw it away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Leo Lichtman

"Ignoramus15109"wrote: (clip) I would like to know the reasoning behind
your opinion (that if I have to ask how to fix it, I should throw it away
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I will answer for Mike. There was something about the tone of your original
post that could be mistaken for naivity. In following the rest of the
thread, including your various responses, I have concluded that expressions
like, "leaks electricity to the case" and "what would be a typical
application for this drill" were not indicative of your non-newbie status.
Clearly, to anyone who read the whole thread, it should be clear that you
not only know what a *megger* is, but you have one, and you know a little
something about the whole subject.

Maybe Mike jumped in and posted without reading the whole thread.

PLEASE don't throw that rugged old drill away. If necessary, use it on a
non-GFI circuit and wear a pair of rubber gloves. It just occurred to
me--maybe this whole thing was just an excuse for you to gloat over the
possession of such a fine old drill. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RoyJ

If it works, keep it. Especially if it has the bolt hole on the top of
the unit to screw in an auxilary handle. Getting a double handle grip on
it gives you LOTS of control.

Ignoramus15109 wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:43:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus15109"wrote: (clip) I would like to know the reasoning behind
your opinion (that if I have to ask how to fix it, I should throw it away
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I will answer for Mike. There was something about the tone of your original
post that could be mistaken for naivity. In following the rest of the
thread, including your various responses, I have concluded that expressions
like, "leaks electricity to the case" and "what would be a typical
application for this drill" were not indicative of your non-newbie status.

I believe that you have an extra "not" (or "non") somewhere above.

Otherwise, yes, I think that Mike made some assumptions that were not,
in fact, true.

Clearly, to anyone who read the whole thread, it should be clear that you
not only know what a *megger* is, but you have one, and you know a little
something about the whole subject.

I know a little bit and have done a few electrical projects. Nothing
really advanced, but somewhere at or a little above the level of
repairing an old metal cased drill.

Maybe Mike jumped in and posted without reading the whole thread.

PLEASE don't throw that rugged old drill away. If necessary, use it on a
non-GFI circuit and wear a pair of rubber gloves. It just occurred to
me--maybe this whole thing was just an excuse for you to gloat over the
possession of such a fine old drill. ;-)

Not really. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I
should sell it, as even my 1/2" Dewalt drill is too powerful for my
hands. I would get no benefit from this drill, it is designed for men
stronger than I am. I will likely sell it after I repair it. I first
though to keep it, and then realized that it is too strong for me,
torque wise. As it often happens, I may change my mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Leo Lichtman

Leo wrote: (clip) not indicative of your non-newbie status. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Igor-amp-us wrote: I believe that you have an extra "not" (or "non")
somewhere above.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to which Leo responds: No. I think I have the right amount of double
negativity. The meaning I was after was, "Your writing style fooled us by
sounding like it came from an uninformed person."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
MikeP

In article %u2Lf.1040$Gz4.781
@fe13.usenetserver.com, ignoramus15109
@NOSPAM.15109.invalid says...
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:54:25 GMT, MikeP wrote:
In article 8f_Kf.3814$6H4.366
@fe28.usenetserver.com, ignoramus3408
@NOSPAM.3408.invalid says...
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker.

My question is, what is the most likely culprit and how to approach
repair of it.

It trips GFCI outlets; repair it or cut the cord off
and throw it away.

If you need to ask how to repair it ... cut the cord
off and throw it away.

I would like to know the reasoning behind your opinion (that if I have
to ask how to fix it, I should throw it away). My experience with
repairing various things (spa, compressor, a diesel generator are some
examples) suggests that asking intelligent people nicely results in
good suggestions and finally in good results.

I under estimated your abilities and I tend to error
on the side of safety. I did not intend to be
insulting or inconsiderate. Sorry ...

That said, I would not use (or sell) that drill with
or without rubber gloves until it is properly
repaired.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RoyJ

In defense of Iggy: he asks some pretty basic questions when he starts a
project but seems to power his way through to some exotic questions
fairly quikly. Most of us are not up to designing inverter welder circuits.