Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Drill leaks electricity to case

Ignoramus3408 wrote:
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.

Let's just say I would not want to be handling that drill nor would I
allow an employee or family member to handle it. It is time to have it
repaired or replaced.

My question is, what is the most likely culprit and how to approach
repair of it.

My another question is, what would be a typical application of this
drill. I am trying to decide if I need it for anything.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Jon Elson

Ignoramus3408 wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:20:43 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Ignoramus3408 wrote:

I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.

Let's just say I would not want to be handling that drill nor would I
allow an employee or family member to handle it. It is time to have it
repaired or replaced.

I gotta agree with that!

So... any idea of how to approach repairing it? I suspect that
something very simple is wrong, like related to brushes or some such.

First, get an Ohmmeter and see if you can detect continuity from the
case (or ground prong) to either of the flat plug terminals. If so,
then you
want to work on the drill until the ohmmeter reads infinity to the same
terminal. Open up the drill, and inspect the brush holders for greasy black
deposits. Cleant that off, and clean around the commutator (carefully) for
similar gunk. Check the plug for conductance again. If that fixed it, you
got off easy. If not, check the cord, switch/speed control and anywhere
else
in the drill where wires run for bare contacts and something like dirt,
chips,
greasy goo that could conduct electricity. If there is nothing more to
be found,
then you either have a short in the armature or field windings. You can
disconnect things to isolate the faulty part, but other than getting a
replacement
part from B&D, it is not easy to fix, unless you want to learn the
intricate art
of motor rewinding.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ignoramus15109 wrote:

Thanks Jon. It is either a quick fix or toss to garbage. I suspect
that the cause is crud accumulated in various places.

Very possible.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
clare at snyder.on.ca

Ignoramus3408 wrote:
[...]

First step is to dissassemble and clean the drill - and with a good
ohm-meter check for shorts to ground from the field winding (quite
common) or the brush holders. It is POSSIBLE the brush holders are
just dirty - conductive brush dust etc on the surface.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus15109" wrote:
, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

There should be a law forbiding people from throwing away old metal-bodied
power tools.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus15109" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
"Ignoramus15109" wrote:

It is either a quick fix or toss to garbage.

There should be a law forbiding people from throwing away old

metal-bodied
power tools.

OK, if I cannot fix it, I will let you know, maybe you can pick it up
and do whatever you want with it. I think that you live nearby, IIRC.

Thanks for the thought Iggy, but I live in Oregon.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
carl mciver

wrote:
| Ignoramus3408 wrote:
| I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:
|
| http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg
|
| When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
| pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
| when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
| appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
| the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.
|
| Let's just say I would not want to be handling that drill nor would
| allow an employee or family member to handle it. It is time to have it
| repaired or replaced.
|
| I gotta agree with that!
|
| So... any idea of how to approach repairing it? I suspect that
| something very simple is wrong, like related to brushes or some such.

If you can see into the drill and there's gobs of carbon all over the
inside of the case from the brushes, rinse it all out with brake cleaner and
replace the brushes. You might be able to make the GFCI quit tripping if
you just were to rinse it out; might be worth a shot.