Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GAS HOT WATER HEATERS

We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the
water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help
us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by
us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased?
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!

THANKS!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a NEW tank!!! Trying to fix a leaky connection will ONLY result in
more leaks soon!

Sorry its time to get a NEW ONE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

you can cheat a little, assuming the tank has a cold water supply valve
turn it OFF unless you are getting a bath. That way you can squeeze
another day or so till the new tank is installed!

Turn on when bathing, off immediately after!!
Its a temp fix, that I have used in the past

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks so much. We pretty much expected this answer anyway but was just
hoping!! Any suggestions on the cheapest stores (Lowes, Sears, etc.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, we've been cheating already with the cutting on and off. Kinda
knew we needed a new one but was just hoping...Any ideas on the
cheaptest store (Lowes, Sears, etc)

Posted to alt.home.repair
georgie

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the
water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help
us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by
us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased?
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!

THANKS!!

Our hot water heater sprung a similar leak on top around a rusty outlet
valve. There was really no economical way of fixing it. We bought a new
one from Home Depot, who had a subcontractor come out to take out the old
one, and replace it with a new one.

The only major issue, besides the cost, is the size of the new hot water
heater needs to fit safely in your current space. We tried to upgrade to a
larger model, but the concrete block it would stand on was not large enough,
so we had to stick with the original size.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks so much. We pretty much expected this answer anyway but was just
hoping!! Any suggestions on the cheapest stores (Lowes, Sears, etc.)

40 gal gas $320 last Friday at HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the
water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help
us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by
us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased?
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!

THANKS!!

Where you at?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

wrote in message

Thanks so much. We pretty much expected this answer anyway but was just
hoping!! Any suggestions on the cheapest stores (Lowes, Sears, etc.)

Do you really want cheapest ? Read this page:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/

....and he

http://www.thehomeinspector.com/Clients/DipTube.html

Even if you do not plan on living at this place for a long time, consider a
longer lasting unit. Much cheaper in the long run.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

YOU MIIGHT be able to save some big bucks at Sears currently!

They are closing MOST of their sears service centers. Having a 30% off
sale on everything in stock at these locations! CLOSING FREE STANDING
SERVICE STORES ONLY

So if theres one near you it might pay to check it out.

locally home depot appears to have the best price, been looking at this
for a buddy his 6 year guarantee tank is on year 13 and acting flakey.
I am amazed its still usable. As a joke I tossed a cup of water
underneath it the other day, Unfortunately his daughter caught me in
the act and finked on me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:43:33 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Mine did this last Friday. Is there an epidemic? A conspiracy?

They do seem to break at the worst time. My last house one broke and
was changed on Thanksgiving (lasted 10 or so years). This newer house
the water heater broke the final day of a total master bath do-over.

When you DO replace it, get the flex hoses that have fittings to make the
job easier should you have to take it out again FOR ANY REASON. Put a pan
under it if it is in an area where leakage would cause a problem. Run a
drain from the pan.

It's a good time for a new 1/4 turn shut-off valve too.

If gas, check connections with Windex spray, looking for bubbles.

..... I also check the vent draft with a match...

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Flex lines dont last forever, I would replace them EVERY TIME the
heater gets changed. espically gas flex pipes.

solid is actually better and less likely to leak

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the
water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help
us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by
us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased?
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!

THANKS!!

Urgent and your looking at Usenet for help?

Sorry your in the wrong place. There is technology available to you called
the YELLOW PAGES.
It has a listings of professionals that are close to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"SQLit" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the
water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help
us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by
us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased?
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!

THANKS!!

Urgent and your looking at Usenet for help?

Sorry your in the wrong place. There is technology available to you called
the YELLOW PAGES.
It has a listings of professionals that are close to you.

You don't know the grammatical difference between the words, "your" and
"you're" and you are giving such advice?

Priceless.

And only a couple of days after the original post.

Also priceless.

Clueless, but priceless, none the less.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Call them and ask. I suggest that you get one with a 9 year warranty which
is the middle of the line and also is usually more efficient than the
cheaper 6 year warranty heaters unless you are going to be moving in the
next couple years. I believe Lowes/HD charge around $289 - $329 to install
plus the price of the tank that can be anywhere from the mid $200 range and
up depending on the capacity and quality/warranty. Some towns also will
charge a building inspection fee to have a hot water heater replaced.
Whoever you get make sure they will do all the work including delivering the
new heater and hauling away the old one which I believe both HD and Lowes
do. Most likely you are looking at least around $600 installed. --- Steve

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...List&N=1000096 --- Lowes
water heaters
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...vFiles/no.html
--- Lowes installation.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks so much. We pretty much expected this answer anyway but was just
hoping!! Any suggestions on the cheapest stores (Lowes, Sears, etc.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
bryanska

Most likely you are looking at least around $600 installed

Try a cool grand.

In October, paid 460 w/ tax for the 9-year heater at Home Depot.
Another 400 to install, using their contractors. Plus 93 bucks for the
permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.mrwaterheater.com/gaswaterheaters/

They are a good company in pittsburgh, gas tank including standard
installation abot 430 and up. note INCLUDING INSTALLATION!

Why would installation cost 400 bucks

I suggest shopping around!

Posted to alt.home.repair

PORTSMOUTH VA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Most likely you are looking at least around $600 installed

Try a cool grand.

In October, paid 460 w/ tax for the 9-year heater at Home Depot.
Another 400 to install, using their contractors. Plus 93 bucks for the
permit.

Last week, mine was $320 at HD, and I installed it myself. I cannot imagine
paying $400 to have a hot water heater installed. And pulling a permit?

Maybe it's just me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote

Why would installation cost 400 bucks

I know some gals that don't make $400 for four hours of work.

$400 to install a hot water heater? Even if you have to sweat on new
fittings, it's not rocket surgery.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Try Sears. Got a Kenmore Power Miser 9 last week on clearance last week for
$79.94. Floor model. Had some scratches, etc, but who cares. Went from
$360 to 200 to $99, then 79.94.

wrote in message
oups.com...
YOU MIIGHT be able to save some big bucks at Sears currently!

They are closing MOST of their sears service centers. Having a 30% off
sale on everything in stock at these locations! CLOSING FREE STANDING
SERVICE STORES ONLY

So if theres one near you it might pay to check it out.

locally home depot appears to have the best price, been looking at this
for a buddy his 6 year guarantee tank is on year 13 and acting flakey.
I am amazed its still usable. As a joke I tossed a cup of water
underneath it the other day, Unfortunately his daughter caught me in
the act and finked on me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah I checked the service store closing sale. 12 year tank went from
$370 to $260

the 9 year tank from $320 to $224

Picking up my best friend this am and get one of these, a great deal