Posted to alt.home.repair
tacker

Default How Best to Repaint Metal Return-Air Grille?

We are having a room with high walls repainted in a deep color. The
same wall has a typical return-air grille (24 x 24") with adjustable
vanes that has the usual factory-baked enamel, off-white color. We
wish to repaint the grille, so that it blends into the wall color,
rather than standing out in stark contrast.

It would seem that using an enamel or gloss paint is necessary, so the
grille may be cleaned periodically. Would it be best to use a primer?
Should the grille be sanded first? To achieve a smooth finish, should
the grille be sprayed?

What is the best way to do this job?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

tacker wrote:
We are having a room with high walls repainted in a deep color. The
same wall has a typical return-air grille (24 x 24") with adjustable
vanes that has the usual factory-baked enamel, off-white color. We
wish to repaint the grille, so that it blends into the wall color,
rather than standing out in stark contrast.

It would seem that using an enamel or gloss paint is necessary, so the
grille may be cleaned periodically. Would it be best to use a primer?
Should the grille be sanded first? To achieve a smooth finish, should
the grille be sprayed?

What is the best way to do this job?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

As I've been working my way through the house painting and fixing I've
tackled each air-grille as I've come to it. My experience may not apply
directly to your situation since mine are retrofitted into the ceiling
and my ceilings are mostly pure white. I've had perfect adhesion and
coverage by placing the grille into the dishwasher and running through a
normal wash/hot-dry cycle to remove all oils and dust and then I've
primed and painted the grilles using standard spray can enamels.

It is possible to obtain custom can spray paints or at least it used to
be so that might be one way to tackle your situation.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

tacker wrote:
We are having a room with high walls repainted in a deep color. The
same wall has a typical return-air grille (24 x 24") with adjustable
vanes that has the usual factory-baked enamel, off-white color. We
wish to repaint the grille, so that it blends into the wall color,
rather than standing out in stark contrast.

It would seem that using an enamel or gloss paint is necessary, so the
grille may be cleaned periodically. Would it be best to use a primer?
Should the grille be sanded first? To achieve a smooth finish, should
the grille be sprayed?

What is the best way to do this job?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I remove them, clean them and then brush on the same paint that is going
on the walls. They all look good to me.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

This agrees with my experience.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

I remove them, clean them and then brush on the same paint that is
going
on the walls. They all look good to me.

--
Joseph Meehan

Agreed! If they are shiney sand lightly for better painy adhesion.
running thru dishwasher after sanding a excellent idea

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
I remove them, clean them and then brush on the same paint that is
going
on the walls. They all look good to me.

--
Joseph Meehan

Agreed! If they are shiney sand lightly for better painy adhesion.
running thru dishwasher after sanding a excellent idea

A spray can like this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1102
can be used to spray the wall paint or any other enamel you buy in a can.

So many colors of normal spray paint available, I'm sure you can find
something you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

I would use a spray paint in a semi-gloss. It need not be a precise match

I used regular wall paint to paint my registers. At first they looked OK, at
best. After a few years they looked crummy and made the rooms look old. I
bought new grilles. The difference is like day and night, although the new
registers are white and the walls are of-white.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"tacker" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are having a room with high walls repainted in a deep color. The
same wall has a typical return-air grille (24 x 24") with adjustable
vanes that has the usual factory-baked enamel, off-white color. We
wish to repaint the grille, so that it blends into the wall color,
rather than standing out in stark contrast.

It would seem that using an enamel or gloss paint is necessary, so the
grille may be cleaned periodically. Would it be best to use a primer?
Should the grille be sanded first? To achieve a smooth finish, should
the grille be sprayed?

What is the best way to do this job?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with the methods of those who replied but I take it one step
further. I "bake" any metal I paint. I use the BBQ grill and bake for
one hour on most items. Baking the paint makes it adheres much better,
eliminates future chips and flakes and holds its' luster much longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

PipeDown wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I remove them, clean them and then brush on the same paint that is
going
on the walls. They all look good to me.

--
Joseph Meehan

Agreed! If they are shiney sand lightly for better painy adhesion.
running thru dishwasher after sanding a excellent idea

A spray can like this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1102
can be used to spray the wall paint or any other enamel you buy in a
can.
So many colors of normal spray paint available, I'm sure you can find
something you like.

You can also work in reverse. I found a spray color I kinda liked then got
the exterior house paint to match. Touch up is easy now.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM