Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Default Plugging toilet problems

I have a new house which was built 9 years ago. I have had problems having
toilets plugging way too often. The toilets just don't have the flushing
action needed. This is happening to virtually evey toilet in the house. Is
this the result of cheap builder toilets or is there something I can do to
help the toilets flush better?

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they flush well if you use a bucket of water? have they always been
a problem?

If so I have a likely solution cheap too

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Have tried this with no help. When the toilets are flushed they flush with
no force. This has always been a problem. My 6 year old and 3 year old will
plus the toilet. And I know they are not flushing other things down the
toilet. I have a toilet in the basement which is VERY RARELY used with the
same result. Do I need to get better toilets?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do they flush well if you use a bucket of water? have they always been
a problem?

If so I have a likely solution cheap too

Posted to alt.home.repair

So they still dont flush well even when using just a bucket of water?

Have they always been a problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Don wrote:

I have a new house which was built 9 years ago. I have had problems having
toilets plugging way too often. The toilets just don't have the flushing
action needed. This is happening to virtually evey toilet in the house. Is
this the result of cheap builder toilets or is there something I can do to
help the toilets flush better?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Time to check vent stack? Maybe bird nest in there?
2 storey, bumgalow style house?
Guess time to make a trip to the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Does not help using the water
wrote in message
oups.com...
So they still dont flush well even when using just a bucket of water?

Have they always been a problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Check the vent stack but probably lousy toilets. Also don't use the most
expensive Charmin..... it takes forever to dissolve.

If you decide to replace a toilet check Consumer Reports at the library.
They have rated them within the last year.

"Don" wrote in message
I have a new house which was built 9 years ago. I have had problems having
toilets plugging way too often. The toilets just don't have the flushing
action needed. This is happening to virtually evey toilet in the house. Is
this the result of cheap builder toilets or is there something I can do to
help the toilets flush better?

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:39:57 -0600, "Don"
wrote:

Does not help using the water

It does help, if done right.

Hold a half-filled 5 gal bucket above your head and pour into drain
hole. It'll provide triple the pressure of the water from the tank.

The there's the old-fashioned plunger - works well for me, too

If your turds are too big, beat 'em up with a stick before flushing,
and flush before wiping (adding paper).

roups.com...

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kulpa

I recently moved into an almost new house and they have Toto toilets
through-out. while I had to order new flappers on-line because they are
bigger than standard flappers (i.e., not stocked at any local store) -
the bigger hole makes these johns flush like there's no tomorrow.
Could probably flush a hardball down 'em.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
tj

Go get a super flush toilet! I bought a Vanity from American Standard. I was
getting tired of double flushing and plunging. The builder probably put a
$49 cheaply in. It was the best $$$ I ever spent. Kohler has one too that
can flush
21 golf balls at a time ( too bad it didn't compare Lincoln logs) !

"Steve Kulpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into an almost new house and they have Toto toilets
through-out. while I had to order new flappers on-line because they are
bigger than standard flappers (i.e., not stocked at any local store) -
the bigger hole makes these johns flush like there's no tomorrow.
Could probably flush a hardball down 'em.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ORIGINAL low flush toilets tended to use all the same bopwls and
tanks but low level of flush water.

he might try raisining the water level in the tank to right below the
dip tube, and putting in a old style flaper

the website toiletology talks about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.toiletology.com/toc.shtml

if he used the blue or clear treatment things in tank that can cause
the trouble

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Warner

"Don" wrote:

I have a new house which was built 9 years ago. I have had problems having
toilets plugging way too often. The toilets just don't have the flushing
action needed. This is happening to virtually evey toilet in the house. Is
this the result of cheap builder toilets or is there something I can do to
help the toilets flush better?

Thanks in advance

http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206...010%202006.pdf

These folks have done some very thorough (and realistic) testing.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This link says they dont take into consideration NOISE

Excessive noise at nite is a major issue.

Frankly my NEXT toilet is coming from canada, 3 gallons or more

my current low flush toilet uses too much water when flushed 3 times
for one load of solids!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Rick Shaw" wrote in message
The early models of the "low flush toilets" were not well designed and
presented problems like you are experiencing.

The later models aren't well designed either, they get around the problem by
a redesign of the flushing mechanism so that if you sit there holding the
flush handle
down the toilet flushes much more water than if you just give the toilet
handle
the typical jog. I guess that meets the letter of the law in locations that
require
the builders to use low flush toilets, while not meeting the spirit of it.

Fortunately in our area there's hardware stores that sell used toilets, and
putting a modern flushing mechanism into a 1950's era toilet gives you a
pretty damn good toilet.

Ted

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Warner wrote:
http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206...010%202006.pdf

These folks have done some very thorough (and realistic) testing.
--

In addition to that, be sure to read owner comments of toilets on this
page before you buy one:

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Some toilets that test good unfortunately have numerous other problems.

That page also has a good forum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveSch

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:56:16 -0800, Rick Shaw wrote:

snip

file:///C:/Mystuff/HouseHints/BestLowFlushToilets.htm

This is a link to a local file on your computer.

Steve

Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
Drain Problems? HotRod Home Repair 4 April 19th 05 01:42 AM
Shutting off water to toilet ScrubsFan Home Repair 15 April 6th 05 01:08 AM
Replace toilet in CA due to mineral build-up?? dave Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 03:51 AM
How to add basement toilet? Borrall Wonnell Home Repair 3 November 4th 04 05:27 AM