Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Reccessed Lights Help

I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

thats how you do it . put the fixtures and wireing in first,then the
drywall and trim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

Make sure you get the right Fixture for your Insulation. If you have
Insulation that will be close to the can, you need to get an IC rated
fixture.

They make some decent fluorescent flood bulbs that fit pretty good in the
can with the Trims too...

Scott-
wrote in message
I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

wrote in message
I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.

Well as the previous poster said use IC fixtures if there's insulation
close but more likely wood or the subfloor of the first floor. The IC
instructions give you the distances. You'll probably need them and I
prefer the Junos. Read the instructions carefully especially as regards
the trims. That can make you nuts. Different trims only allow certain
wattage bulbs.
Like the other previous poster says use a Roto-Zip blade to cut in the
openings. I locate the center of the fixture with 4 finish nails
outside of the drywall that locate where 2 snap lines will intersect
the middle of the fixture. Then when the drywall is in position I
locate the center. Tack the drywall in with a few screws. Cut out the
middle and then the perimeter. BTW I didn't have a Roto-Zip when I
first did this so I used a highspeed 1/4" corded drill and just chucked
up a bit I borrowed. Worked fine for a few openings. Wear goggles and a
mask. That dust flies right into your face.
Also a drywall jack (or "T" braces) is/are handy when you're working
over head. Esp. if you're by yourself.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Are you doing a suspended ceiling? I would in a basement. Those are the
ceilings with panels suspended on a steel framework and you can lift them to
get access to pipes. There are special light fixtures for suspended
ceilings.

wrote in message
I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your comments. I have purchased Juno units this afternoon-
fixtures, trim, and bulbs to go with them. The installation is going
to be in the basement with exposed joists - no insulatio. So I bought
the Juno units for non-insulated new construction. I bought the
large 6 in untis with a large bulb to go with it and a dimmer.
I will provide an update as things move along.

Regards.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:20:25 -0500, wrote:

I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is an update:

I installed the Juno units fine - no problems. I had purchased a set
of incadescent light bulbs - Syman BR40 75Watts. After installing
them, I found out that they were not as luminous as I needed. Actually
a lot less. I went back to Home Depot and found a lot of light bulbs
with a higher lumens rating , but not compatible with dimmers. I
decided to install a set of Spiral 15W ones with 1600 lumens,
compared with my previous 700 lumens. They were much better, but I
had to get rid of the dimmers. This would be ok for use to install
the ceiling drywall and other cleanup jobs. I was disappointed thaty
they still does not match the brilliance of the two flourescent
fixtures that I had before.

I am still looking for a long term solution. Any ideas ??
Thanks.

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:44:11 -0500, dnoyeB

I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my
basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light
fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the
recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the
trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.

I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light
switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.

Thanks.

Mine were up for a year before I put the trim on them. Still I would
have preferred large flourescent lights to these incandescents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My apologies, they are 23W with 1600 lumens - the brand is Luminus
Super brillante Ultra mini spiral. They come in a pack of six at
Costco. Here in Toronto, I paid under $20.00 Canadian for the pack.O

n Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:07:05 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

Please tell me brand, model, where to buy, etc! I expect that for 15
watt spirals "par" (or "mediumish-good") is about 900 lumens and I have
yet to hear of better - but I suspect 1,000 or 1100 is possible.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks .. I have a very low ceiling to start with. This is the reason
that I removed my old suspended ceiling and I am trying to install a
drywall ceiling. I went back to the electrical store this afternoon
and picked up two halogen bulbs to try. They are rated with a higer
brilliance - 1000 lumens and can be used with a dimmer. They don't
look too bad. I am going to leave the spirals on until the area is
finished and painted. The new ceiling and paint may make a differece
plus I can then correct to the exisiting colour. If you come up with
more ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:49:46 -0500, dnoyeB

Here is an update:

I installed the Juno units fine - no problems. I had purchased a set
of incadescent light bulbs - Syman BR40 75Watts. After installing
them, I found out that they were not as luminous as I needed. Actually
a lot less. I went back to Home Depot and found a lot of light bulbs
with a higher lumens rating , but not compatible with dimmers. I
decided to install a set of Spiral 15W ones with 1600 lumens,
compared with my previous 700 lumens. They were much better, but I
had to get rid of the dimmers. This would be ok for use to install
the ceiling drywall and other cleanup jobs. I was disappointed thaty
they still does not match the brilliance of the two flourescent
fixtures that I had before.

I am still looking for a long term solution. Any ideas ??
Thanks.

Well thats why I preferred the flourascents. The recessed lighting is
directional and you need a very high ceiling in order for them to light
adequately. Maybe you can use a diffuse grill of some sort to
distribute the light. but this will mean a smaller bulb since the
assembly will now be closed...Tough situation.