Posted to alt.home.repair
-keevill-

Default aircon units question

A builder friend of mine insists that certain makes of aircon units use less
electricity than others. I understood that any given brand of the same BTU
would use the same elec in daytime use. Are there really more efficient
brands ?
He says that a York 18000 btu machine will use less than a LG 18000 btu.
Could that be true?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SEER factor for overall energy efficency. most companies sell a variety
of SEER efficencys. years ago a 8 was very good. Now I hear 12 is norm,
up to 20 for a super high efficency unit.

the higher the seer the more the energy savings, but upfront cost can
be brutal. super high seer might be worth it in southern florida, but
marginal at best in maine, where the number of AC days is low.

its always good to check the energy labels on appliances

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote

SEER factor for overall energy efficency. most companies sell a variety
of SEER efficencys. years ago a 8 was very good. Now I hear 12 is norm,
up to 20 for a super high efficency unit.

If you are talking about split systems:

12 SEER is obsolete. You may find a few brands out there that still have
some 10 and 12 SEER units, but once they are gone, that's it.13 is the
required minimum now. Carrier and some other manufacturers actually have 21
SEER models.