Posted to alt.home.repair
cj

Default flexibale natural gas lines

greetings, i will be installing a new gas stove in out kitchen which
means that i will have to pipe over some natural gas. i am considering
connecting 3 five foot lenghts of the flexibale gas lines i can purchase
at home depot instead of paying someone to hardpipe (?) it. i have a
connection in my gas line before it gets to the furnace that i want to
tap into. the connection has a threaded plug. does this seem like a good
idea? any possible code violations? what kind of thread sealant should i
use? stuff in a tube of the nylon tape stuff?
thanks cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

It is absolutely a code violation here in Delaware to do any
gas plumbing. It can also void an insurance claim if it
causes a fire. Be safe. Call your gas company. Frank

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, i will be installing a new gas stove in out
kitchen which means that i will have to pipe over some
natural gas. i am considering connecting 3 five foot
lenghts of the flexibale gas lines i can purchase at home
depot instead of paying someone to hardpipe (?) it. i have
a connection in my gas line before it gets to the furnace
that i want to tap into. the connection has a threaded
plug. does this seem like a good idea? any possible code
violations? what kind of thread sealant should i use?
stuff in a tube of the nylon tape stuff?
thanks cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Salutations. Does that possible tapping point drop down from the supply
pipe? Could be a "mud" leg (a place for impurities to be deposited).
Rethink your consideration not to pay to have it done correctly.
Running three five-foot flexible connectors is _not_ the way to get the
gas to where you need it. Code violations? You betcha. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

code will vary depending on your location, BUT... this is a VERY bad
idea even if for some reason it isn't against the code. If you were to
do this, I strongly suspect that you and your family would soon become
an unfortunate example for the local authorities to update the codes.

Just hard pipe the job the way it should be done, please. It'd be a
shame to read about this in the news.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It really isn't all that hard to do it the right way with the
appropriate hard pipe. But given your inclination to just use flex
pipe, I'd say just pay someone to do it right instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

those flexoble lines should never been run thru a floor or wall, too
easy to puncture.

do it right or hire someone

Posted to alt.home.repair
butch burton

Figure out what pipe and fittings you need - go to a big box store and
do it. Do not use teflon tape on the joints and most places require
black pipe. Have moved many times around the country and have had to
add new lines for gas drier and grills - not a one failed housing
inspections.

If you run flex through a wall/floor - that is asking for trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2006-02-08, Chris wrote:

We just had a pro redo some of our gas, and all the new lines he put
in are the flexible kind.

There's a big difference between flexible gas pipe (corrugated
stainless steel) that can be used in place of rigid pipe, and flexible
gas appliance connectors that should only be used between the
appliance shut-off valve and the appliance.

Cheers, Wayne