Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JJ

Default Lines in Blue CRT on a Sony Projection TV

I have a 3 year old Sony projection TV that I am having problems with.
With the TV on and a black screen displayed I can see numerous light
horizontal lines that curve up in the center. These lines can also be
seen while looking into the blue CRT tube (also when the TV is on, and
there are no lines on the other tubes). Any idea what may be causing
this? Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

JJ wrote:
I have a 3 year old Sony projection TV that I am having problems with.
With the TV on and a black screen displayed I can see numerous light
horizontal lines that curve up in the center. These lines can also be
seen while looking into the blue CRT tube (also when the TV is on, and
there are no lines on the other tubes). Any idea what may be causing
this? Thanks

The blue tube is being overdriven and clipping so you're getting retrace
lines. Did the problem occur suddenly or gradually? Either way you're in
need of an experienced tech to repair the problem. Quit using the TV
until it's fixed to prevent further damage.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

The CRTs are known problems on these models. The G2 voltage drifts
upward over time due to internal leakage. Grounding the CRT pins with
the TV on and socket removed will clear it up for a few weaks, but the
leakage returns. I fudged one with stacked zeners to about 420 volts,
and bumped the G2 up to butt up against the zeners. It's been running
over a year now. Another tech told me that the focus\screen controls
are known to be cranky, but I haven't seen one yet.

I read somewhere that contacting Sony may yield some sort of
compensation if one or more of the CRTs are bad.

John