Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spa Pump Starting Automatically

I have an Indoor Spa Pump that when left on after using the Spa will
start automatically/of its own accord. It normally takes about 15-20
minutes after the last use of the pump and if you don't get to the
power in time to turn it off runs for approx 1 minute. Has anyone come
across a similar issue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What happens is that when I am finished with the spa and turn the jets
off at the spa and drain the water, the spa is finished with for the
night . Approx 15 - 20 minutes later one of the pumps sparks into life
again for no apparent reason.

The only way to stop it is to turn it off at the power, that is what I
meant by left on. Upon re reading my original post I understand the
confusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
oups.com...
What happens is that when I am finished with the spa and turn the jets
off at the spa and drain the water, the spa is finished with for the
night . Approx 15 - 20 minutes later one of the pumps sparks into life
again for no apparent reason.

The only way to stop it is to turn it off at the power, that is what I
meant by left on. Upon re reading my original post I understand the
confusion.

RTFM.

What you describe may be caused by two reasons I know of. (I own two spas.)

There is a timer set to filter the spa at certain times. Check the
instruction sheet to see if this is kicking on.

The temperature may drop, and the unit is simply kicking back on to bring
the temperature back up.

I don't know what type of spa you have. It doesn't really matter. Some
have a different number of pumps, so you need to refer to your own manual.
For me to tell you what to do because I do it on MY spas is dumb.

One more thing. On most spas, there is a STANDARD and ECONOMY mode. Be
sure to set it to the right mode. In STANDARD, the heater will kick on any
time it senses a temperature less than the one set into the keypad. In
ECONOMY, it kicks on the heater only during the filter cycles. This would
be advantageous if you usually use the spa at nine or ten at night, and set
it to run from four to eight in the afternoon. It will be hot when you use
it, but for the rest of the day, it won't be keeping the water hot 24/7.
You need to watch your own spa to see how it heats water. Mine raises the
temperature 5 degrees every hour. So, you would have to adjust the run time
that will have it hot when you want to use it if you keep it in the ECONOMY
mode. Or if you are going to use it at an odd time, you have to remember to
go out and kick it on to heat it up. I just leave mine on STANDARD.

Read your manual. Turn off the breakers, and leave them off for a minute.
Turn them back on. Then go to the keypad and check the settings. If you
don't have the operating instructions, you can probably get them at your
local shop or over the Internet.

Other than that, call the spa guy at $60 per hour.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
TP

What happens is that when I am finished with the spa and turn the jets
off at the spa and drain the water, the spa is finished with for the
night . Approx 15 - 20 minutes later one of the pumps sparks into life
again for no apparent reason.

The only way to stop it is to turn it off at the power, that is what I
meant by left on. Upon re reading my original post I understand the
confusion.

RTFM.

snip

Sounds like a bath tub spa, if you drain the water after use. I
have seen these units run the air blower after use to blow out
and dry up any water left in the pipes. This somewhat prevents
bacteria from forming in the standing water. Check your owner’s
manual.
TP
Posted to alt.home.repair
georgie

"TP" wrote in message

What happens is that when I am finished with the spa and turn the jets
off at the spa and drain the water, the spa is finished with for the
night . Approx 15 - 20 minutes later one of the pumps sparks into life
again for no apparent reason.

The only way to stop it is to turn it off at the power, that is what I
meant by left on. Upon re reading my original post I understand the
confusion.

snip

Our Jacuzzi does the same thing. In our case, it's a normal function. It's
probably normal in your situation, too. It's meant to circulate the water
around so bacteria and other nasties don't build up.