Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Default New siding/insulation question

I live in the Detroit area in a typical colonial house. I currently have
old aluminum siding on my house from the late 60's and to my knowledge, no
insulation under it. There is just an old tar paper under the siding.

I am soon getting new vinyl siding which also comes with a Tyvek wrap &
insulation.

Will I be able to experience any benefits from this additional insulation?
Will I experience a decrease in my heating bill, or will it not be that
obvious? Just wondering how much of an impact it makes since I am paying
for it.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you get the typical blue or pink foam, that stuff is about an R-6 per
inch. You should see a savings, depending on how much insulation you now
have inside the walls.

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I live in the Detroit area in a typical colonial house. I currently have
old aluminum siding on my house from the late 60's and to my knowledge, no
insulation under it. There is just an old tar paper under the siding.

I am soon getting new vinyl siding which also comes with a Tyvek wrap &
insulation.

Will I be able to experience any benefits from this additional insulation?
Will I experience a decrease in my heating bill, or will it not be that
obvious? Just wondering how much of an impact it makes since I am paying
for it.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Bill wrote:
I live in the Detroit area in a typical colonial house. I currently have
old aluminum siding on my house from the late 60's and to my knowledge, no
insulation under it. There is just an old tar paper under the siding.

I am soon getting new vinyl siding which also comes with a Tyvek wrap &
insulation.

Will I be able to experience any benefits from this additional insulation?
Will I experience a decrease in my heating bill, or will it not be that
obvious? Just wondering how much of an impact it makes since I am paying
for it.

Find out if the wall spaces are insulated or not.
If not, you have a golden opportunity to blow in
insulation before the new siding goes up.

You will get a lot more insulation value by doing the
wall space than the siding will provide.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
m...
Bill wrote:
[...]

The other two messages offered good advice. Since you're doing the siding
anyway, it would be nuts not to include the insulation. Keep in mind though
that the greatest energy savings come from proper attic insulation, and
replacing lousy windows, in that order. Walls are last. The attic's the
easiest thing to deal with.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I live in the Detroit area in a typical colonial house. I currently have
old aluminum siding on my house from the late 60's and to my knowledge, no
insulation under it. There is just an old tar paper under the siding.

I am soon getting new vinyl siding which also comes with a Tyvek wrap &
insulation.

Will I be able to experience any benefits from this additional insulation?
Will I experience a decrease in my heating bill, or will it not be that
obvious? Just wondering how much of an impact it makes since I am paying
for it.

Thanks

Tyvek wrap is for air migration, not insulation. Which helps the air
exhanges. but not much else.

House from the late 60's might not have much insulation any way. Might be
time to call someone for an evualuation. Like someone else has said the
wall cavities have a higher R-value when filled than the stuff under the
siding.

What R-value are you paying for?

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM