Posted to alt.home.repair
david

Default Window tinting home

Does Window Tinting your home save a significant amount on your cooling
bill?
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

david wrote:
Does Window Tinting your home save a significant amount on your cooling
bill?
thanks

Hi,
I think so but I can't tell you how much. Inside a room with a tinted
windows, it feels cooler in summer time. I have lots of windows.
My house faces S/W. All the windows on that side is tinted. Even without
a/c, it made a difference. It supposes to help in winter too.
Anyhow my house is R-2000 spec.
You may wonder how many windows we have? When we're ordering window
coverings after house was built, the person taking the order couldn't
believe we have that many windows, LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

In the South, yes. In the North, no.

"david" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does Window Tinting your home save a significant amount on your cooling
bill?
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tinting? Probably not measurable.

Reflective film, now that's a whole 'nother story. Works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

In my jurisdiction in the Southeast U.S., the building code requires
that all new windows be "Low-E" (extra energy efficient). I've noticed
that these windows have a metallic greenish film applied to the windows
that noticeably tints them. My window manufacturer tells me that they
are very effective at reducing energy costs. I don't know whether he's
telling me the truth, but I do have a hunch that if the building
inspector requires it that it probably is fairly effective.

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Low-E windows are the lowest
grade windows allowed? I have always heard Low-E was the lowest quality
and least efficient compared to argon, double pane, etc. This is why
Low-E is the cheapest.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

That may be true. Low-E may be the minimum required in my
jurisdiction. It makes sense that they would allow more energy
efficient designs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Low-E windows are the lowest
grade windows allowed? I have always heard Low-E was the lowest quality
and least efficient compared to argon, double pane, etc. This is why
Low-E is the cheapest.

Argon leaks out after a few years.

Double-pane (thermopane) is standard nowadays. Can't really have
"low-emission (low-e)" glass without it since the low-e coating is somewhat
sticky and thus resides on the inside edges of one or both panes. (so I was
told by local glass shop)

I doubt that low-e is the cheapest since it involves an extra coating on the
glass.