Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Default Definition of device for electrical code compliance

I am installing a new 12 guage circuit. I understand code allows 12
devices on the circuit. From reading other postings, it sounds like an
outlet with two plugs is considered one device. Is that correct? So
I can have 4 recessed lights and up to 8 outlets, each with two plugs
and be compliant?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I always thought that a duplex receptacle was counted as 2 devices because
you could plug 2 things into it. They do make single receptacles.

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am installing a new 12 guage circuit. I understand code allows 12
devices on the circuit. From reading other postings, it sounds like an
outlet with two plugs is considered one device. Is that correct? So
I can have 4 recessed lights and up to 8 outlets, each with two plugs
and be compliant?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

In the U.S. the NEC requires 1.5 amps per outlet or 13 max outlets on a 20
amp circuit- only in commercial applications. This does not apply to
residential wiring where you need one 15 amp circuit for every 600 sq ft of
house, for general lighting. For what you're doing it's best to calculate
your particular usage and don't exceed 80% of the capacity of the wire

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am installing a new 12 guage circuit. I understand code allows 12
devices on the circuit. From reading other postings, it sounds like an
outlet with two plugs is considered one device. Is that correct? So
I can have 4 recessed lights and up to 8 outlets, each with two plugs
and be compliant?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Justin West

Not knowing where you reside does not help us; however, Canadian
Electrical Code does indicate that duplex plug counts as 2 "devices".

Regards,

Justin West

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

As far as I know, a duplex plug is required in most cases except for certain
appliances, and is counted as 1 device in Ontario.

ups.com...