Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete board or Somthing??

I have an old house. I bought a new electric fireplace insert to put in
the mantel. My issue is that I need to cut out the back of the mantle,
but it is like some sort of concrete board or something. I went to use
my skill saw, but no go. Any idea on how I can cut this?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craig Robison

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old house. I bought a new electric fireplace insert to put in
the mantel. My issue is that I need to cut out the back of the mantle,
but it is like some sort of concrete board or something. I went to use
my skill saw, but no go. Any idea on how I can cut this?

Thanks

I'm not sure how thick the stuff is you're trying to cut but you probably
need a masonry cutting blade. Go to HomeDepot.com (or Lowes or whatever)
and search for this or something similar.

DW4712B

This one happens to be a DeWalt blade but I would think any of this sort
will work. Oh, and wear gloves, safety goggles and a mask, it is a dusty
mess...

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

This could be an asbestos board, in which case having at it with a
skill saw is maybe not such a good idea.

Or, it could be a cement tile backer board, in which case a utility
knife is all you need (just score it and then break it -- no need to
wear out a blade).

Or it could be other things too, I suppose.

I'd recommend either (a) figuring out what it is before trying to cut
it in any way, or at least convince yourself that it isn't asbestos
before going at it, or (b) figure out some way to remove it without
resorting to cutting/smashing/etc. After all, if it is a funky
material, or concrete, or whatever, it certainly was not made in place,
and it seems unlikely that it would have been installed during
construction. More likely it was added after basic construction, or as
a retro-fit, or something.