Oppie

Default Question on concrete board

I'm remodeling a very small bathroom (about 5'x7'). For now, I'll just
be laying linoleum, but I would like to lay some concrete board so that
I can at a later date tile the room. The flooring right now (under the
existing linoleum) is a 1/2" thick plywood. It seems very solid and
doesn't seem to buckle. This house was built some 40 years ago and the
wood looks in excellent condition.

Anyway, how THIN of a layer of concrete board can I get away with? I
don't want to raise the final level of the floor any more than
necessary. Would 1/4" concrete be okay for a small job like this?

Thanks!

--
Oppie the Bear
aka TOJ (The Other John)

'Remove' MYWORRIES to email me!

Some days, you're the pigeon.
And some days, you're the statue.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Oppie" wrote in message

Anyway, how THIN of a layer of concrete board can I get away with? I don't
want to raise the final level of the floor any more than necessary. Would
1/4" concrete be okay for a small job like this?

Thanks!

See what the tile maker says about their product. I don't know that it is
even available that thin. If it flexes, the tile will crack.

Oppie

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

See what the tile maker says about their product. I don't know that it is
even available that thin. If it flexes, the tile will crack.

Yeah, I don't really know what sizes it comes in. I think I've seen it
in 1/4" but maybe I was looking at something else.

From what I've been told elsewhere, better to be safe than sorry. Damn,
I really hate lifting the floor up that much. Oh well!

--
Oppie the Bear
aka TOJ (The Other John)

'Remove' MYWORRIES to email me!

Some days, you're the pigeon.
And some days, you're the statue.

Cliff Hartle

It does come in 1/4" thickness, but it will probably flex too much. Even a
miniscule amount of flex will crack the grout.

The thinnest I have read you can go for floor thickness is 1/2" durarock
attached to 5/8" plywood using thinset and the proper type and number of
screws.

When I worked for a construction company I put down a dozen or more floors
and always had to come back and try to fix loose tiles and cracked grout on
floors where the sub floor wasn't thick enough.