Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

Default Look what's happenin" in my home town.

Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100 miles
an hour all the time.

They say it's going to be on ABC sometime in the next two months. It's great
to see this happen to people that really, really need it. And people up in
Houston are contributing money and a large furniture store is furnishing the
whole dang house. Now, if a miracle would just come along that would cure
these two kids leukemia this year would be off to a fantastic start.

Check this out. And if you want, you can kick in a buck or two.

http://www.extremeroycebuilders.com/

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100 miles
an hour all the time.

It just escapes me why a family of four or even six in dire need of
assistance need a 4000 sf home.

Why not build two 2000 sf homes and let another family in need have a
break?

Is it ratings, drama, or "reality"??? All of the above?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

J.C. wrote:
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100 miles
an hour all the time.

Who pays the property taxes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...

J.C. wrote:
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They
went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100
miles
an hour all the time.

Who pays the property taxes?

Forget it. I don't care to dwell on negativism.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bart

J.C. wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...

J.C. wrote:
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They
went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100
miles
an hour all the time.

Who pays the property taxes?

Forget it. I don't care to dwell on negativism.

Oh...you mean reality...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Often the seeker of truth will be perceived as a skeptic.

Get over it, and get with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

J.C. wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...

J.C. wrote:
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They
went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100
miles
an hour all the time.

Who pays the property taxes?

Forget it. I don't care to dwell on negativism.

It's a relevant question. This family has a huge financial burden, how
are they to pay property taxes?

In addtion, since this is a gift, don't they have to pay income taxes
on this? Or is this covered by additional gifts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

wrote in message
oups.com...
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They
went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100
miles
an hour all the time.

It just escapes me why a family of four or even six in dire need of
assistance need a 4000 sf home.

Why not build two 2000 sf homes and let another family in need have a
break?

I must be turning into a curmudgeon early in life (I'm only 44!) but that
was my thought too.

My other thought is about the expense of utilities, upkeep, repairs and
furnishing a 4K sf house. A 4K sf house cost more to heat or cool than a
2K. If someone is in such dire straits that they have trouble affording
housing better than a trailer, how are they going to afford those "extras?"
Is it that charitable to give them a house that will be a financial strain
for them to keep up?

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...

J.C. wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...

J.C. wrote:
Man. They built that two story, 4000 square foot house in 3 DAYS. They
went
24 hours a day, 3 shifts, 80 person crew per shift and they went 100
miles
an hour all the time.

Who pays the property taxes?

Forget it. I don't care to dwell on negativism.

It's a relevant question. This family has a huge financial burden, how
are they to pay property taxes?

In addtion, since this is a gift, don't they have to pay income taxes
on this? Or is this covered by additional gifts?

Okay. For all you negative thinking types out there. If you visited the web
page about this you might have noted that this house is being built on the
property of the Father. He is over 65. In our county we have an over 65 tax
exemption. NO TAXES will be levied on this house until the property is sold,
the owner passes away or opts out of the exemption. Even then, the property
will be under the county agriculture exemption so the taxes would not be
over $100.00 a year. And Texas has no State Property Tax. As for the IRS,
word is this is a gift and those taxes will be paid by the builder and the
furniture company.

But, if such things are that big a concern for all of you, why not chip in a
buck or two toward the cause? I think MD Anderson Cancer Hospital has a fund
set up for the twins as well. So, unless you are just the type that likes to
throw cold water on a heart warming story, maybe you can see fit to help
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

how about building them modest home and spring for some/all of the medical
expenses? or just give them some money (Lord knows that lost time from
work,travel expenses,lodging...etc.(all expenses occuring with sick loved
ones) will rack them further into debt just as fast.
"J.C." wrote in message

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...

J.C. wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...

J.C. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

"tom&kel" wrote in message

PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

plonk plonk little leftist.

"J.C." wrote in message

"tom&kel" wrote in message

PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:42:45 -0500, "tom&kel"
wrote:

| plonk plonk little leftist.

Huh? How do you figure that? I guess you don't know much about
leftists.

| "J.C." wrote in message
|
| "tom&kel" wrote in message
|
| PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

i know that despite all the good suggestions and/questions that damn near
everyone raised here,he wanted nothing more than "happy little thoughts".
that reminds me of that painter bob ross...."happy little trees". once
people questioned if it really the best for the family, he got angry.

there is a serious underlining issue to charity; that being how well is the
money spent. it's great that the family that has been struggling can catch
a break,but when someone(extreme home makeover) is soliciting for donations
there has got to be some common sense in the spending of those recieved
contributions. being a recovering,pussified,treehugging leftist sort of
qualifies me to make a personal(note the word personal) assesment.

*God grant me the serenity to not be sucked into these useless debates with
people who have no practical use for common sense,or the application
thereof.

wrote:

| plonk plonk little leftist.

Huh? How do you figure that? I guess you don't know much about
leftists.

| "J.C." wrote in message
|
| "tom&kel" wrote in message
|
| PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

btw i used the term "leftist" as in context with extreme left wing,ultra
lib,or semi-social engineer. that isn't the semi marx/communism dictionary
term that you are trying to bait me into an argument about.....

wrote:

| plonk plonk little leftist.

Huh? How do you figure that? I guess you don't know much about
leftists.

| "J.C." wrote in message
|
| "tom&kel" wrote in message
|
| PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

J.C. wrote:
"tom&kel" wrote in message

PLONK

Let us know how your happy little family is doing in a year. My bet is
they will sell the house, same as the one up here in Idaho. People in
those situations do not need a McMansion. What they need is a real
hand up which noone here grudges. The mansions being built by Extreme
makeover are not a solution to the problem. Reasonable housing plus
funds are what is both needed and wanted.

An example is here in Spokane, Wa. Just today one of the local Ford
agencies donated a BRAND NEW CAR to a family that was burned out of
their trailer, then were badly burned by a gas explosion as they
stepped into a house they were looking at to rent. The entire family of
4 spent expensive time in a burn ward in Seattle. What did they get?
An SUV - just what people facing major medical bills needs, a gas hog.
The Ford agency didn't lose a dime as they.

a. Wrote it off as charity and
b. Got rid of a vehicle they can't sell.

Harry K

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

i agree with you harry. i'm thinking of not re-newing my united way weekly
deduction and finding a 100% contribution charity. i'm sure i heard of one
being around here(pittsburgh). just want to see the maximum amount going
the people i'm donating to.
"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

J.C. wrote:
"tom&kel" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it ratings, drama, or "reality"??? All of the above?

Who's going to tune in to watch 'em build a dump?

Kind of the point I was getting to...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:32:38 -0500, "tom&kel"
wrote:

| btw i used the term "leftist" as in context with extreme left wing,ultra
| lib,or semi-social engineer. that isn't the semi marx/communism dictionary
| term that you are trying to bait me into an argument about.....

Sloppy language and fuzzy thinking, Mr. Biteme. Mumble, mumble, I
can't even figure out what the hell you're talking about. All the
so-called "leftists" I know would opt for two more modest houses. But
I don't know who the OP is. Neither do you.

| "tom&kel" wrote in message
| i know that despite all the good suggestions and/questions that damn near
| everyone raised here,he wanted nothing more than "happy little thoughts".
| that reminds me of that painter bob ross...."happy little trees". once
| people questioned if it really the best for the family, he got angry.
|
| there is a serious underlining issue to charity; that being how well is
| the money spent. it's great that the family that has been struggling can
| catch a break,but when someone(extreme home makeover) is soliciting for
| donations there has got to be some common sense in the spending of those
| recieved contributions. being a recovering,pussified,treehugging leftist
| sort of qualifies me to make a personal(note the word personal) assesment.
|

| *God grant me the serenity to not be sucked into these useless debates
| with people who have no practical use for common sense,or the application
| thereof.
|

| "Cue" wrote in message
| On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:42:45 -0500, "tom&kel"
| wrote:
|
| | plonk plonk little leftist.
|
| Huh? How do you figure that? I guess you don't know much about
| leftists.

| |
| | "J.C." wrote in message
| |
| | "tom&kel" wrote in message
| |
| | PLONK
| |
| |
| |

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

sure they would "opt" for a house that's modest on a personal level, but
would never openly critize a charitable contribution. the level of
self-imposed guilt that they might offend someone would prevent
that......classic over-sypathitic bleeding-heart crap that makes no sense.
first hand experience.....on my own part.
wrote:

| btw i used the term "leftist" as in context with extreme left
wing,ultra
| lib,or semi-social engineer. that isn't the semi marx/communism
dictionary
| term that you are trying to bait me into an argument about.....

Sloppy language and fuzzy thinking, Mr. Biteme. Mumble, mumble, I
can't even figure out what the hell you're talking about. All the
so-called "leftists" I know would opt for two more modest houses. But
I don't know who the OP is. Neither do you.

| "tom&kel" wrote in message
| i know that despite all the good suggestions and/questions that damn
near
| everyone raised here,he wanted nothing more than "happy little
thoughts".
| that reminds me of that painter bob ross...."happy little trees".
once
| people questioned if it really the best for the family, he got angry.
|
| there is a serious underlining issue to charity; that being how well
is
| the money spent. it's great that the family that has been
struggling can
| catch a break,but when someone(extreme home makeover) is soliciting
for
| donations there has got to be some common sense in the spending of
those
| recieved contributions. being a recovering,pussified,treehugging
leftist
| sort of qualifies me to make a personal(note the word personal)
assesment.

| *God grant me the serenity to not be sucked into these useless
debates
| with people who have no practical use for common sense,or the
application
| thereof.
|

| "Cue" wrote in message
| On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:42:45 -0500, "tom&kel"

| wrote:
|
| | plonk plonk little leftist.
|
| Huh? How do you figure that? I guess you don't know much about
| leftists.

| |
| | "J.C." wrote in message
| |