Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Jack

Default Question: "This Old House" The Current Project

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Jack wrote:
features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Not sure if your donation money makes it into the project - kind of
doubtful. There's advertising and the show promotes products,
materials and contractors - plenty of bucks in that. The project is in
Cambridge, MA and in a great section. The house hadn't had anything
done to it in quite some time. I'm not sure how long the owner has
lived there, but I gathered it had been a while, so there must have
been a fair amount of equity in the property. I don't know what the
owner does, but he went to MIT, and we all know they're loaded. Right,
Jeff?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Dave

A way long time ago, I think on one of their projects they stated the
costs and the break down.

The home owners have to put up a certain amount (for that project it was
about $50,000) and there were some things donated to them but they had to
claim them (the value of them) on their taxes. The show didn't put any
money into the project, it only rounded up the small handful of
'donations' from the companies they featured their products for. For
example, instead of paying $10,000 for radiant floor heating, the home
owner's cost would be around $4,000 with a $6,000 figure being 'donated'.

If the home owners would have renovated without TOH, it would have cost
about $100,000.

Jack wrote:

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair

thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair

thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair

thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Theres a huge set of payments from any manufacturer who's product gets
mentioned on the show that go to Rus Morash and his merry minions. Not
only ius any manufacturer giving away a miniscule amount of product, they
are playing a huge "placement fee" to the producers.

Not sure if any of that "placement fee" money goes into any hmeowner
project, but it does pay the "talaent", such as it is, on the how -- i.e.
"Rich" the plumbing guy, "Tom" the contractor guy; "Norm" th whatever guy,
"Roger" the landscape guy, and the "host".

Morash has made a HUGE amount of money with the franchise, and only a small
percentage of that has filtered back to WGBH and less to PBS as a whole.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Jack wrote:

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sir Topham Hatt

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

(Jack) wrote:

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sir Topham Hatt

This current house project is another example why TOH is out of touch with its
viewer base. How many of us could afford the stuff that is going on in this
project? And the people who can, don't give a ****...

BTW
The episode where they visted the high end gourme-=cheese shop was a total waste
of 15 mins of my precious life.

(Jack) wrote:

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
George

Jack wrote:
features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

My buddies relative was in one of the older projects before everything
became gazillion dollar projects. He blew his budget because the
featured stuff that is placed by the manufacturers is all high end. So
he had to scale up other stuff to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

Also he must be a very rich guy. They installed radiant heating under an outdoor
walkway so that he wouldn't have to shovel it in the winter. How much is THAT
going to increase his heating cost in the winter?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Mikey

Interesting. I always thought it was something like this, but having to
claim the donated products cost on the owner's taxes never occured to me.

Jack wrote:

features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Ian Pilcher

Jack wrote:
features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

I have the same proble with all of the renovation shows on HGTV, etc.
My wife loves to watch them, and I've got to admin that they're kind of
interesting, but watching a couple of hours of this stuff makes me feel
like an utter failure.

After all, if you can't afford a $20,000 bathroom and a $50,000 kitchen,
you're life has obviously been wasted!

Ian Pilcher
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gazoo

"Sir Topham Hatt" wrote in message
This current house project is another example why TOH is out of touch with
its
viewer base. How many of us could afford the stuff that is going on in
this
project? And the people who can, don't give a ****...

BTW
The episode where they visted the high end gourme-=cheese shop was a total
waste
of 15 mins of my precious life.

or no longer bother to watch the show!!

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Nancy1

Jack wrote:
features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be
costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive
details.

Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our
donations? Or the home owner?

The program producers get some products free (donated) or at a discount
(so their products will be shown on TV), the owner has a budget and
pays a lot of the cost.

TOH has often emphasized very large, expensive projects - remember when
they rebuilt Tommy's brother's house from the ground up? The new one
was really big. Some of that cost came from the insurance money (the
house burned down), but given the differences between old and new, I'd
say the new one was at least twice the insurance. Or the Vermont barn
they did - no expense spared, really - or the pianist's house - same
story. I think for many of these, the "renovation" budget is in the
hundreds of thousands.

N.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Default User

Nancy1 wrote:

TOH has often emphasized very large, expensive projects - remember
when they rebuilt Tommy's brother's house from the ground up? The
new one was really big. Some of that cost came from the insurance
money (the house burned down), but given the differences between old
and new, I'd say the new one was at least twice the insurance. Or
the Vermont barn they did - no expense spared, really - or the
pianist's house - same story. I think for many of these, the
"renovation" budget is in the hundreds of thousands.

There was an early one, back when Bob Vila was the host, where the
renovated an old farmhouse for a young couple. The last few episodes,
you didn't see the homeowners any more, and at the end Bob sort of
casually mentioned that they'd planned to spend $100,000 and it had
been closer to $200,000. It came out in the paper later that the
homeowners were really steamed about the whole situation, 100 grand is
fair amount of money now, 15 years ago it was a LOT of money.

After that, it seemed like they emphasized sticking to the budget more.
I haven't watched the show in years, so I can't comment on how they do
it these days.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
BobK207

Brian is right on about the "stink" over one of Bob Villa's TOH
projects (if not more than one)

BV & TOH was featured in a Wall Street Journal article YEARS AGO & may
have been the beginning of the end for BV with TOH.

IMO BV was more concerned about self promotion than doing a good job
for the "client".

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Mikey wrote:

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

Also he must be a very rich guy. They installed radiant heating under an outdoor
walkway so that he wouldn't have to shovel it in the winter. How much is THAT
going to increase his heating cost in the winter?

Probably no more than paying someone to shovel it. If you get a lot of
snow, I 'll be the radiant driveway ends up cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Keith-

I agree witht the basics of your post as well as the conclusion (move &
store snow in frozen form but I have always thought 12" of snow
equaled 1" of water If so you cacls are somewhat off

Also the heated walks / drives I am familair with Mammoth Lakes, CA)
are turned on when the snow starts so you're not dealing all the snow
at once but as it comes down,
So the melted water flow away via "normal drainage"

Bottom line is........... if melting snow was cost effective there
would be more snow melting insallations & few snow blowers throwers.
Last year we got 10ft in week, my fuel bill wsa high enough with a
drive melter.

cheers
Bob

)In article iuaAf.16$Jn1.5@trndny01, says...

Mikey wrote:

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

Also he must be a very rich guy. They installed radiant heating under an outdoor
walkway so that he wouldn't have to shovel it in the winter. How much is THAT
going to increase his heating cost in the winter?

Probably no more than paying someone to shovel it. If you get a lot of
snow, I 'll be the radiant driveway ends up cheap.

Let's see... breaking out the web search engine

Assume:
a 20' x 50' driveway = 1000sq.ft.
6" snow = ~1" water (frozen) = 170cu.ft. ice
63 lbs/cu ft. = 1E4 lb
450 gm / lb. = 4.7E6 g
Latent heat of freezing 80cal/g = 3.7E8 cal
1 cal = .004 BTU = 1.5E6 BTU
140k btu/gallon = 10.8 gallons of oil

Unless I've screwed something up (likely) about eleven gallons of
oil or about $30, assuming no heat is lost to the atmosphere (big
assumption given 1000sq.ft. surface) and 100% efficient heat
transfer.

Now where are you going to put 700ish gallons of water that's just
ready to freeze again? ;-)

By contrast a snow blower uses about a pint of gasoline and piles
the still frozen water neatly out of the way until spring. ;-))

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Neill Massello

Ian Pilcher wrote:

I have the same proble with all of the renovation shows on HGTV, etc.
My wife loves to watch them, and I've got to admin that they're kind of
interesting, but watching a couple of hours of this stuff makes me feel
like an utter failure.

There is no "reality" on television. The medium turns everything it
touches into entertainment, which usually means fantasy and bull****.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Mikey wrote:

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

[...]

Of course your time is not worth anything, if it is someone elses time,
it will cost more than 30 bucks, at least around here. I think the plow
companies get twice that
Posted to alt.home.repair

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a
whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I
wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

Actually I think george is great! What show were you watching?

It sure isnt TOH with georges contemporary home...

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair

often emphasized very large, expensive projects - remember when
they rebuilt Tommy's brother's house from the ground up? The new one
was really big. Some of that cost came from the insurance money (the
house burned down), but given the differences between old and new, I'd
say the new one was at least twice the insurance. Or the Vermont barn

Contractors percentage around here is often said to be about 1/3 of the
total job cost, and had a friend with a major home fire insurance
allowed that.

so dick silvas house literally burned down and tom waived the
contractor fee or part of its 33% giving that back to his brother
towards a nicer home. meanwhile dick got lots of donations, and got
paid $ to rebuild his own home on tv.

TOH got a big show out of it.

win win for everyone and even dick silva got bit by the budget. they
installed the radiant floor lines in the basement but no boiler, it was
left for the future. there were other things like this.

frankly the big budget doesnt bug me, since its way more interesting
than cnverting a garage into a bedroom

there are lots of DIY network shows like that....

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default User wrote:

There was an early one, back when Bob Vila was the host, where the
renovated an old farmhouse for a young couple. The last few episodes,
you didn't see the homeowners any more, and at the end Bob sort of
casually mentioned that they'd planned to spend $100,000 and it had
been closer to $200,000. It came out in the paper later that the
homeowners were really steamed about the whole situation, 100 grand is
fair amount of money now, 15 years ago it was a LOT of money.

After that, it seemed like they emphasized sticking to the budget more.
I haven't watched the show in years, so I can't comment on how they do
it these days.

There were two others that got testy - the Salem house where the zoning
board made the homeowner cry, and the London townhouse where they had
to rebuild the newly installed steel roof structure due to some zoning
code or other and the budget got blown to hell and back.

I think they must write into the contract that for the owner to get the
discounts or freebies they have to smile for the camera.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Neill Massello

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

This current house project is another example why TOH is out of touch with
its viewer base.

Actually, they are in touch with the PBS viewer base. The show is an
example of why PBS has become irrelevant.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Nancy1

wrote:
[...]

I agree mostly. However, I get tired of east coast/west coast/south.
It was explained to me by the TOH e-mail responders a long time ago:
they have to work where there is good weather in the winter, and/or
where they can go home overnight. That means east coast (go home
overnight) or west coast/south (good weather). I think they did do one
house in Chicago, but can't remember for sure. It was a new kitchen
for some family with new babies or something like that, where the kids
were eating on the floor. Anyone remember that?

In any event, they won't ever come to Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin,
Minnesota, Michigan, Kansas, Missouri, etc. etc. etc.

And I really miss Steve Thomas and don't like the new dorky host at
all. Ah, well. Things change.

N.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Keith Williams wrote:

Assume:
a 20' x 50' driveway = 1000sq.ft.
6" snow = ~1" water (frozen) = 170cu.ft. ice

.... 20x50x1/12 = 83 ft^3.

63 lbs/cu ft. = 1E4 lb

5250 lb (actually less, since ice is less dense than water.)

450 gm / lb. = 4.7E6 g
Latent heat of freezing 80cal/g = 3.7E8 cal
1 cal = .004 BTU = 1.5E6 BTU

.... 5250x144 = 756K Btu, eg 756K/(55-32) = 32869 lb (522 ft^3) of groundwater
cooling from 55 to 32 F.

Now where are you going to put 700ish gallons of water that's just
ready to freeze again? ;-)

Back in the 4' deep x 50' long x 522/50/4 = 2.6' wide stone-filled trench
with an EPDM liner on one side of the driveway, where it can warm up to
55 F and get pumped over the driveway to melt the next batch of snow :-)

Nick

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Brent McKee

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

I remember them both. In the case of the Salem house, a member of the
heritage board referred to the woman homeowner - who was several months
pregnant - as "waddling" into their town. I was sure someone was going
to get punched out after that incident. Of course the solution the show
had come up with to a rather serious parking problem was at best tricky
and at worst potentially dangerous.

The London apartment was a more inexcusable case. A British contractor
_should_ have known that there are severe restrictions as to what you
can do to a listed heritage building like the one they were working on
(probably class 2 - you can not alter the exterior of a class 1 building
at all). One of these is that you can't substantially alter building
profiles, but this designer decided "oh yeah, we can get away with not
replicating the original Mansard style roof and just put up what amounts
to a flat wall". Then to compound matters, nobody even bothered to wait
for planning approval. You can bet there were law suits ready to fly on
that one, particularly since one of the homeowners was a lawyer.

--
Brent McKee
My TV Blog -- http://childoftv.blogspot.com/

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Mikey wrote:

Also he must be a very rich guy. They installed radiant heating under an outdoor
walkway so that he wouldn't have to shovel it in the winter. How much is THAT
going to increase his heating cost in the winter?

Not nearly as much as you might think, but in any event it's a drop in
the bucket when you're spending a couple hundred grand for a staircase.
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...tems/costs.htm

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Neill Massello

D4 wrote:

They ought to change the name of the show to to "The Ultra-rich
Remodel."

I was thinking "Construction Projects of the Rich and Famous" or "This
Gold House".

None of their projects are practical any more.

Ask This Old House is their practical program. TOH itself has become a
"behind the scenes at Disneyland" show.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Morash has made a HUGE amount of money with the franchise, and only a small
percentage of that has filtered back to WGBH and less to PBS as a whole.

That is why I will never donate. Also the ads
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Sir Topham Hatt posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV
guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if
there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....

Sounds like sewage to me... bio-tech
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Sir Topham Hatt posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

BTW
The episode where they visted the high end gourme-=cheese shop was a total waste
of 15 mins of my precious life.

So you are lactose intolerant ;~)
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal over ten years
ago about how some of the projects had turned into mini disasters.
Seems it took a lot longer than anyone would have thought and the
homeowners wound up spending like 2X what they thought they would, even
with all the discounted or free materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:11:44 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Morash has made a HUGE amount of money with the franchise, and only a small
percentage of that has filtered back to WGBH and less to PBS as a whole.

That is why I will never donate. Also the ads

I remember listening to a PBS radio station (sometime in the
eighties). I heard a relative getting a gift membership for "Sam
Lloyd" (the cat).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Semi OT Electrical Question John Moorhead Woodworking 41 April 9th 04 06:22 PM
sequence of tripping CB Sam UK diy 13 March 24th 04 09:24 AM
How to reduce current on a cheapo mig welder? Keith Marshall Metalworking 3 September 3rd 03 08:46 AM
Another sparkies question about generators Eric R Snow Metalworking 47 August 30th 03 05:36 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM