Posted to alt.home.repair
stratford1

Default Best way to care for an old original hardwood floor?

Hey folks,
I'm looking for some general advice on caring for an older hardwood
floor. Our house is a 1947 cottage with all the original oak hardwoods
in nice shape. The previous owners informed us that all they used was
regular wood floor cleaner on it and periodically applied Boiled
Linseed Oil. We are very impressed with the appearance of the floors so

we figured we'd continue to do the same general thing. However, I want
to be sure we're not overlooking a better option.

My questions a
1) What cleaners would be best for a floor that has been oiled? Based
on the bottles left by previous owners, they were using basic pledge
woodfloor cleaner. My main concern is that most of these general
cleaners state that they should not be used on "uncoated" or "unsealed"

wood. Our floors have not been sealed with poly or anything (which is
why the oil soaks right in).
2) How often should we apply the Boiled Linseed Oil?
3) Is there another option for polishing/protecting these floors that
someone would recommend besides Boiled Linseed Oil which would work on
floors that were previously oiled?

Thanks for your help!

Sidenote: We have done one room so far - cleaned with Murphy Oil Soap
and applied the Boiled Linseed Oil - and had great results.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

all about your floor except how to change the finish at:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...singFinish.htm

Hardwood floor - what direction mwlogs Home Repair 6 July 29th 05 08:23 PM
hardwood floor ? Fire&Ice Home Repair 8 February 2nd 05 04:04 PM
Award Hardwood floor problem ad Home Ownership 1 November 30th 04 09:27 PM
Hardwood floor installation - poor workmanship? J. Anthony Crumpton Home Ownership 3 April 8th 04 04:24 PM
Hardwood Dance Floor (somewhat off-topic) Your Name Here Woodworking 15 November 7th 03 03:27 PM