Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof/chimney leak

We've had some unusually wet weather (even for us) here in the Pacific
NW lately, and my roof has started to leak at the chimney.

The roof is standing-seam metal, installed ~4 years ago. The chimney
has roof all around it (it's in the middle of the roof, not on the edge
of the house). The chimney is primarily cinderblock construction around
a liner, but the cinderblock changes to natural stone right at the
roof. The stones are mortared together, with flashing inserted into
the mortar. The top of the chimney is capped with mortar.

When I look inside the attic, I don't see any drips, but the entire
surface of the cinderblock structure (all four sides) is wet. It
almost seems as though the water is coming through the blocks, not
dripping down from where the blocks meet the roof.

Is it possible that water is somehow coming in the open chimney, and
seeping through the liner and cinder blocks? (The liner, at least the
portion I can see above the stone, is also a cinderblock-type
material). Or is the chimney likely leaking at the flashing, and just
spreading out all over the surface of the cinderblock? Or is there
some other source I've not considered?

Thanks for any help,

Kelly

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

yes, yes, yes.
maybe let everything dry out and come back and play with a helper,
bright worklights, and a garden hose.
i have from a dark attic look up on a windy sunny day sometimes the
chimney and the building will reveal they have shifted apart with a
visible gap.
in the attic feel for for an incoming draft around the chimney when you
run an exhaust fan or two blowing air out of the attic windows and/or
doors with all other openings closed.
on the rooftop look for any low spots that puddle or pitch due to
settling and send the water toward the chimney instead of away from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Anything's possible, but usually any water going inside the chimney liner
will take the path of least resistance and end up at the base of the
chimney. You can always put a chimney cap on to eliminate that possibility,
but my guess is the flashing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Cinderblock and natural stone are incredibly porous. There is a
waterproofing product made specifically for chimneys called Chimney
Saver (ChimneySaver.com). It allows the chimney to breathe but repels
water. It is the stuff that we Certified Chimney Sweeps use!
Alisa

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

buffalobill wrote:
yes, yes, yes.
maybe let everything dry out and come back and play with a helper,
bright worklights, and a garden hose.
i have from a dark attic look up on a windy sunny day sometimes the
chimney and the building will reveal they have shifted apart with a
visible gap.
in the attic feel for for an incoming draft around the chimney when you
run an exhaust fan or two blowing air out of the attic windows and/or
doors with all other openings closed.
on the rooftop look for any low spots that puddle or pitch due to
settling and send the water toward the chimney instead of away from it.

UMM, the Pacific Northwest isn't very definitive,
but most of the PN has been wet for a while and if
PN means Seattle to the OP, the rain has been
falling for a record long time. Waiting for it to
dry out, is probably not an option if things are
getting wet.

possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM
water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM