Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Roof/chimney leak

Anything's possible, but usually any water going inside the chimney liner
will take the path of least resistance and end up at the base of the
chimney. You can always put a chimney cap on to eliminate that possibility,
but my guess is the flashing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've had some unusually wet weather (even for us) here in the Pacific
NW lately, and my roof has started to leak at the chimney.

The roof is standing-seam metal, installed ~4 years ago. The chimney
has roof all around it (it's in the middle of the roof, not on the edge
of the house). The chimney is primarily cinderblock construction around
a liner, but the cinderblock changes to natural stone right at the
roof. The stones are mortared together, with flashing inserted into
the mortar. The top of the chimney is capped with mortar.

When I look inside the attic, I don't see any drips, but the entire
surface of the cinderblock structure (all four sides) is wet. It
almost seems as though the water is coming through the blocks, not
dripping down from where the blocks meet the roof.

Is it possible that water is somehow coming in the open chimney, and
seeping through the liner and cinder blocks? (The liner, at least the
portion I can see above the stone, is also a cinderblock-type
material). Or is the chimney likely leaking at the flashing, and just
spreading out all over the surface of the cinderblock? Or is there
some other source I've not considered?

Thanks for any help,

Kelly