Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Default Oil Furnace problems - need help

Not sure why I can't get my posts to go through, but this is my third
time trying.

I have a Bryant oil furnace - 7 years old. Problems with it since it
was installed.

I have a 550 gal. oil tank underground.
I have a single copper pipe to the furnace (not sure why installed that
way and not double pipe)
A filter on the side of the furnace.
New nozzle, cad cell eye, and primary control.

I keep losing the prime in the line. I was told to dig up the tank to
check for a leak in the line at the tank side. Before I did up the
tank and my deck that unfortunately covers the tank, I am wanting to
find out if there is a way to pressure test this line to check for a
leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure why I can't get my posts to go through, but this is my third
time trying.

I have a Bryant oil furnace - 7 years old. Problems with it since it
was installed.

I have a 550 gal. oil tank underground.
I have a single copper pipe to the furnace (not sure why installed that
way and not double pipe)
A filter on the side of the furnace.
New nozzle, cad cell eye, and primary control.

I keep losing the prime in the line. I was told to dig up the tank to
check for a leak in the line at the tank side. Before I did up the
tank and my deck that unfortunately covers the tank, I am wanting to
find out if there is a way to pressure test this line to check for a
leak?

Don't be nasty when you do, but call the company and explain to them exactly
what you explained here. It sounds to me like there IS something wrong with
the oil line. Maybe a bad flare at the pump? SOMETHING is causing it to suck
in air. Was your old furnace on a 2-line system? If it was, is there a
second "abandoned" line nearby that you switch to to see if that helps? Did
they kink the oil line (where it comes through the wall) when they installed
the new furnace?

I'd try to get them to resolve the problem before you try to tear up your
deck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

The tank is about 15 years old. I know it needs cleaned -- getting
estimate on that today. There was only one line from the start.

Thank you for the response.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The tank may need cleaning, but that has little or nothing to do with your
problem. The oil line and/or tank can be pressure tested, but both would
require digging. The tank probably isn't leaking, or you'd be using a whole
lot of oil. It sounds like you have a suction leak in your oil line,
allowing the oil to drain back to the tank when the burner is off. Did any
of the service techs ever put a pressure gauge on the system to see if the
pressure dropped when the heater was off? This is a basic test for this type
of problem.

Before you spend any money on getting your tank cleaned and/or your oil line
repaired, consider getting a basement tank. If your underground tank ever
starts to leak, you'll have real problems.

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
The tank is about 15 years old. I know it needs cleaned -- getting
estimate on that today. There was only one line from the start.

Thank you for the response.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

I have never seen them test the line that way. I used to only have to
buy fuel once every season and a half, but now it is almost twice a
season. The tech told me that was because of the way the furnace was
running?

I will research the basement tank. Can the oil that is in the current
tank be siphoned and drained into a new tank easily?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you watched them every time, and they've never put a pressure gauge on
the oil line, then the tech either doesn't have the proper training, or is
lazy. If you are correct, then you went from about 350 gallons a year to
1100 per year. This is not possible unless you doubled the size of the home,
or left the windows open. Each year (depending on the temperatures) the home
will need about the same amount of BTUs. Telling you the increased oil usage
is caused by your heater is plain and simple BS. IMO, there's a very good
chance that your underground tank is leaking. It may be time to start
looking for another service company. Call several for a price to install a
basement tank and pump the present oil into that tank. Then pick the one you
have confidence in.

"Deni" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never seen them test the line that way. I used to only have to
buy fuel once every season and a half, but now it is almost twice a
season. The tech told me that was because of the way the furnace was
running?

I will research the basement tank. Can the oil that is in the current
tank be siphoned and drained into a new tank easily?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

OH my goodness. Time to make those calls.

Thank you so very much for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The best way to find someone is to call friends and neighbors who have oil
heat for recommendations.
If you end up having to dig up and dispose of your underground tank and
contaminated soil, it can be extremely expensive. Check your home owners
insurance to see if they'll pay for some of the work.

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
OH my goodness. Time to make those calls.

Thank you so very much for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Deni" wrote in message

I will research the basement tank. Can the oil that is in the current
tank be siphoned and drained into a new tank easily?

Yes, it can. Tank removal and remediation can be very expensive it there is
a lot of contamination. This is shy underground tanks are a thing of hte
past.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Just an update.....I had a good conversation with the owner of the
service company...he sent someone back out the very next morning and
they found the air leak right away. The tech that was here last Friday
did not tighten the fittings for the oil filter and that is where it
was sucking air. All is running well for now, and I didn't have to dig
anything up.

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just an update.....I had a good conversation with the owner of the
service company...he sent someone back out the very next morning and
they found the air leak right away. The tech that was here last Friday
did not tighten the fittings for the oil filter and that is where it
was sucking air. All is running well for now, and I didn't have to dig
anything up.

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful!

Good!

Now you really should have them come out once a year. Check and see what
kind of maintenance contracts they have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Good advice really...they are here once a year....but as I found out
yesterday from the tech that came to rescue was that the guy they sent
on Friday they yanked from plumbing, he's not from the heating side.
Even so, if he was from plumbing, wouldn't you think he would know how
to properly tighten a fitting????

I think it is time I find a new service company and find out what
contracts they have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

The tech that was here yesterday didn't say too much about it other
than if there is a noticable difference of how often I have to purchase
fuel, to check for a leak in the tank to make sure the fuel is not
coming out of the tank. They don't test underground thanks, nor does
the company that I purchase the fuel from. There is yet a third
company that I would have to deal with to have the tank tested.

I really need to weigh out my options on this. After researching the
basement tank idea, I read so many things where the underground tanks
were leaking and the unsuspecting homeowner got fined and stuck with
all kinds of fees. THAT scares me!! I haven't decided if I want to
stick with the oil heating or move to a different type of heating.

The closest gas connection is caddy corner from my property. About 8
years ago my ex-husband was quoted approximately $3K to have a gas line
run to the house, but that didn't include having any hookups installed.
We got that quote shortly before the last furnace blew the hole in it
and ruined everything in the house. I was stuck being that it was
below zero outside and I had no other source of heat, I had to hurry up
and get another oil furnace.

Any thoughts on propane heat? Any thoughts on keeping an outside
(above ground) oil tank vs. basement oil tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Any thoughts on propane heat? Any thoughts on keeping an outside
(above ground) oil tank vs. basement oil tank? "

Usually outside above ground tanks are far more problem prone than ones
that are underground or in the basement. Outside tanks are exposed to
wide temp swings which results in condensation. That in turn can lead
to the line freezing in winter, premature nozzle problems, pump
failure, etc. I would either go with gas or else a basement tank.
Plus a basement tank avoids having an ugly tank sitting outside your
house.

How old is the existing underground tank? In most cases, you'll have
to deal with it sooner or later, and sooner is better if it's already
old and you can catch it before it starts leaking. If you go to sell
the property, it's pretty likely a buyer will want it tested to verify
it's not leaking. Even if you switch to a new system and no longer use
the old tank, most buyers will want a certification that the old tank
was not leaking and was properly shut down. How you do that depends on
your location. Some places allow them to be pumped out, an opening cut
in the top, then have it filled with dirt. Others may require the
actual removal. Local companies that do this type of work can tell you
the options.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Which ever way I decide, I will more than likely call someone who knows
the laws, rules and regulations in my area for shutting this tank down.
The tank is as old as the house (25 years old).

I am asking only because I really have no idea...how much space would a
basement tank use? My basement is unfinished right now, but we had
plans to finish it next year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Any thoughts on propane heat? Any thoughts on keeping an outside
(above ground) oil tank vs. basement oil tank?

Use a basement tank, in a containment "cistern", with
a float alarm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"I am asking only because I really have no idea...how much space would
basement tank use? My basement is unfinished right now, but we had
plans to finish it next year. "

You can find the exact dimensions with a web search. Off the top of my
head, a 275 gallon tank,
which is the most common, is roughly 6 ft long, 2 1/2 wide, 5 high

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

You can find the exact dimensions with a web search. Off the top of my
head, a 275 gallon tank,
which is the most common, is roughly 6 ft long, 2 1/2 wide, 5 high

It should be against an outside wall with easy access from the street for
the delivery man.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Once you realize that it could cost you $6K to $8 to switch to gas, you're
probably going to stick with oil, because you said it was a pretty new
furnace. You can't be screwing around looking into other types of fuel
systems. You need to get someone out ASAP to pressure test that tank. If you
went from 350 to 1100 gallons a year, it's a good bet it's leaking. The cost
of removing a leaking tank can be very costly. There are companies who do
only tank testing. The thing to do right now, is to get a basement tank
installed and pump the existing oil into it before one of your neighbors
starts getting an oil smell in their house, or oil in their well water. I
hope you understand how serious this could be.

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Yes, I agree, Bob. Super serious. That is why I stated before it is
scaring me. I am having someone to come and test it. They are
supposed to be here next week. I am also having someone come and give
me an estimate on installing a basement tank. Again, I need to be
super careful with that as well. I don't want to end up with many many
gallons of oil in my basement (because that is my luck).

I'll keep y'all posted! You guys are the best! Helped me keep my
sanity and keep me from jumping into a bigger mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Sorry for scaring you, but that's what I was trying to do. As for your oil
tank:
1) Make sure the fill and vent are NOT plastic pipe.
2) If possible, install a whole new oil line, and do not use the old oil
line from the old tank.
3) Try to get an installer who is also capable of servicing your heater.
4) If they pump the oil from the old tank into the new one, make sure they
don't pump too much sludge with it.
5) Dig up the old tank and get it hauled away, no matter how much it costs.

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I agree, Bob. Super serious. That is why I stated before it is
scaring me. I am having someone to come and test it. They are
supposed to be here next week. I am also having someone come and give
me an estimate on installing a basement tank. Again, I need to be
super careful with that as well. I don't want to end up with many many
gallons of oil in my basement (because that is my luck).

I'll keep y'all posted! You guys are the best! Helped me keep my
sanity and keep me from jumping into a bigger mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Deni

Ok...one last set of questions...the basement tanks...can you get them
in different materials, ie. fiberglass, metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Deni" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok...one last set of questions...the basement tanks...can you get them
in different materials, ie. fiberglass, metal.

Go ahead and get the metal. Put a good coat of paint on it and you won't
have any problems.

Fiberglass ones are expensive....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The most common tank is a 275 gallon steel 27" x 44" oval x 60"long. Another
tank is cubical shaped steel with molded polyethylene inside (for about 3x
the cost of an oval tank). 275 gallons of oil weighs about 2200 lbs. That's
a lot of weight, and I think steel is about the only thing strong enough to
withstand that kind of pressure.

"Deni" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok...one last set of questions...the basement tanks...can you get them
in different materials, ie. fiberglass, metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Have you ever seen a totally fiberglass inside oil tank?

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
newsWWxf.459$sq.362@trnddc01...

ups.com...