Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Oil Furnace problems - need help

Once you realize that it could cost you $6K to $8 to switch to gas, you're
probably going to stick with oil, because you said it was a pretty new
furnace. You can't be screwing around looking into other types of fuel
systems. You need to get someone out ASAP to pressure test that tank. If you
went from 350 to 1100 gallons a year, it's a good bet it's leaking. The cost
of removing a leaking tank can be very costly. There are companies who do
only tank testing. The thing to do right now, is to get a basement tank
installed and pump the existing oil into it before one of your neighbors
starts getting an oil smell in their house, or oil in their well water. I
hope you understand how serious this could be.

"Deni" wrote in message
oups.com...
The tech that was here yesterday didn't say too much about it other
than if there is a noticable difference of how often I have to purchase
fuel, to check for a leak in the tank to make sure the fuel is not
coming out of the tank. They don't test underground thanks, nor does
the company that I purchase the fuel from. There is yet a third
company that I would have to deal with to have the tank tested.

I really need to weigh out my options on this. After researching the
basement tank idea, I read so many things where the underground tanks
were leaking and the unsuspecting homeowner got fined and stuck with
all kinds of fees. THAT scares me!! I haven't decided if I want to
stick with the oil heating or move to a different type of heating.

The closest gas connection is caddy corner from my property. About 8
years ago my ex-husband was quoted approximately $3K to have a gas line
run to the house, but that didn't include having any hookups installed.
We got that quote shortly before the last furnace blew the hole in it
and ruined everything in the house. I was stuck being that it was
below zero outside and I had no other source of heat, I had to hurry up
and get another oil furnace.

Any thoughts on propane heat? Any thoughts on keeping an outside
(above ground) oil tank vs. basement oil tank?