Posted to alt.home.repair
boaz

Default Patching My Leaking Roof - Part 3

Hi guys,

I got alot of discouraging comments many posts below.
But a man has got to do what a man has got to do.... (till he drops!!)

I am not calling the roofer just yet.

It was raining hell Monday here.
Today is Wednesday but my roof is still very wet.
So, I will wait till maybe Saturaday and see if my roof will be dry by then.
If it dries by Saturaday, I will go up there and wash the area near the
little hole.
And then wait another day till Sunday.
By Sunday afternoon when the sun is on top of my head, I will have my brush
and the can of Black Jack Fibered Roof Coating and pour the thing there and
paint it all over that area.

The can says it will take 2 days to dry. I will have to keep a close eye on
the weather.

After it dries, my plan is to put a thin layer of Henry Wet Patch Cement on
top of the Coating. This should stop it from cracking.

This is my plan. Any final word before I go nut with my roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

boaz wrote:
[...]

Yes. Good luck, and stop starting new threads on the same topic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

I've been there, but many of the patching compounds explicitly say you
can use them on wet roof- I wouldn't wait- roof leak is no joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
boaz

According to my research, my roof is what they call a Built-Up Roof.
It is built layer after layer. A total of 5 layers if I remember correctly
from the roofer.

According to one of the articles, the leak is usually in the flashing area
for my kind of roof. I am not sure what flashing means but I am gussing it
is the edges and the joints. So, in addition to what I am planning to do, I
will have my chisels ready and cut out all those old tar on the edges and
paste new henry wet patch cement all over there (in large quantity if
necessary!)

I have plenty of buckets here. So, it should not be any more problem here
if it keeps rainning.

"Sev" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been there, but many of the patching compounds explicitly say you
can use them on wet roof- I wouldn't wait- roof leak is no joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

According to my research, my roof is what they call a Built-Up Roof.
It is built layer after layer. A total of 5 layers if I remember

correctly
from the roofer.

Layers of what? Shingles laid on top of old shingles?

I am not sure what flashing means

Stop. Call a roofer.

I have plenty of buckets here. So, it should not be any more
problem here if it keeps rainning.

Catching the water in buckets after it's already ruined your ceiling joists,
drywall, insulation and other parts is an incredibly stupid plan.

Call a roofer, get it done right before you end up wrecking the entire
thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

just wondering how big the hole is in your roof..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

I re-roofed my house 8 years ago. They took out everything and then they laid all kind of stuffs on top of the roof. Fiberglass thingie, all kind of paper brown and black. And then they boiled the tar thingie and pumped the hot tar to cover the layers of paper. And then they put more paper on top and finally the paper with sand.

And no, I am not calling the roofer.

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message ...
According to my research, my roof is what they call a Built-Up Roof.
It is built layer after layer. A total of 5 layers if I remember

correctly
from the roofer.

Layers of what? Shingles laid on top of old shingles?

I am not sure what flashing means

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?

When it is not raining nut like last Monday, there is no leak. But if the water begins to back up to form a pool, it will leak. And last Monday, the pool of water was 2 to 3 inches deep up there around the drainage. What I did was to rush to Home Depot to buy a water pump and ran the wire and hose to the top and started pumping water away.

wrote in message ...
just wondering how big the hole is in your roof..

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

boaz wrote:
Hi guys,

I got alot of discouraging comments many posts below.

That often happens to trolls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?

Just getting in here in the middle of things is confusing:
you bought a hole from Home Depot to put into your roof? what? why? I
didn't even know Home Depot sells holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

I have a hugh house with a flat roof. The drainage is in the back of the roof. It is a square metal tube with edges where you can nail it to the side of the wall. The width of the opening is about 6 inches wide.

The drainage is not wide enough for my roof. So, when it begins to rain very hard, the water is not channelled out fast enough. So, my roof begins to look like a swimming pool. It leaks around the drainage area. I am trying to locate the leak and patch the leaking area.

This place calls it Outlet Boxes Overflow Scuppers. or it maybe the Square Downspout

http://www.awardmetals.com/product_drainage.htm
"z" wrote in message oups.com...

Tom wrote:
I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?

Just getting in here in the middle of things is confusing:
you bought a hole from Home Depot to put into your roof? what? why? I
didn't even know Home Depot sells holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:12:03 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?

When it is not raining nut like last Monday, there is no leak. But if the water begins to back up to form a pool, it will leak. And last Monday, the pool of water was 2 to 3 inches deep up there around the drainage. What I did was to rush to Home Depot to buy a water pump and ran the wire and hose to the top and started pumping water away.

It's still leaking, just not enough for you to notice.

One thing you need is a bigger drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
I have a hugh house with a flat roof. The drainage is in the back of the roof. It is a square metal tube with edges where you can nail it to the side of the wall. The width of the opening is about 6 inches wide.

The drainage is not wide enough for my roof. So, when it begins to rain very hard, the water is not channelled out fast enough. So, my roof begins to look like a swimming pool. It leaks around the drainage area. I am trying to locate the leak and patch the leaking area.

ay yi yi. time to move the house to arizona.

"z" wrote in message oups.com...

Tom wrote:
I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?

Just getting in here in the middle of things is confusing:
you bought a hole from Home Depot to put into your roof? what? why? I
didn't even know Home Depot sells holes.

help - leaking flat roof boaz Home Repair 11 January 4th 06 01:20 AM
urgent help leaking bay roof! Neil UK diy 2 November 28th 05 11:53 AM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Insulated roof as part of TV house refurbishment Bluestars UK diy 12 September 22nd 03 08:45 PM