Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Default building a basement bar, floor not quite level

As nearly every basement floor, there's a slope towards the drain. I'm
in the middle of framing a bar with construction lumber and was wonder
what as proper:

The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Is 3/4" to little to worry about either way?

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Is 3/4" to little to worry about either way?

Couple of shims and it is level. Best to do it right. At least your drinks
won't spill when you set them down in a full glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Dec 2005 15:47:39 -0800, "Larry Bud"
wrote:

As nearly every basement floor, there's a slope towards the drain. I'm
in the middle of framing a bar with construction lumber and was wonder
what as proper:

The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Level. I haven't done this, though I might have to do so soon, but
to do this, you put the baseboard of the bar horizontal. Then run
something across the floor with a pencil attached while you have a
pencil point that is 1inch high, at all times. It will draw a line on
your baseboard that matches the curve of the floor. You can do this
for the side that shows too. The rest of it doesn't have to form-fit
the floor. You just want these baseboards to look nice.

Is 3/4" to little to worry about either way?

TIA!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Level. 3/4 inch doesn't sound like much, but put anything round on
something with that much slope and it's going to roll.

Depending on what your using for the sides of your bar and how the slope
will look, decide whether the sides are cut square to the floor, or square
to the underside of the bar top, which ever would look least conspicuous
with the slope.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
As nearly every basement floor, there's a slope towards the drain. I'm
in the middle of framing a bar with construction lumber and was wonder
what as proper:

The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Is 3/4" to little to worry about either way?

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mwlogs" wrote in message

Level. 3/4 inch doesn't sound like much, but put anything round on
something with that much slope and it's going to roll.

Just re-reading this thread brought something to mind. At least the OP
noticed the slop and asked about it. I wonder how many people would have
just started building and wondered why it was cockeyed when done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mwlogs" wrote in message

Level. 3/4 inch doesn't sound like much, but put anything round on
something with that much slope and it's going to roll.

Just re-reading this thread brought something to mind. At least the OP
noticed the slop and asked about it. I wonder how many people would have
just started building and wondered why it was cockeyed when done.

Thanks Ed and all others. I was guessing it would be level since you
shim cabinets to be level. I worked my ass off tonight and nearly
got it done. I want to cover it with 1/4" ply to stiffen the carcass,
although I'm probably way overbuilding this thing. Not a bad thing,
except for the next guy that buys my house and decides he wants to tear
it out!

My new laser level came in VERY handy for this project. It would have
taken SO much longer to complete since I'm a one man shop.... get one
end of the board even with the line, then shim up the far end, then cut
to fit all the way down the line!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

wrote:

As nearly every basement floor, there's a slope towards the drain. I'm
in the middle of framing a bar with construction lumber and was wonder
what as proper:

The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Level. I haven't done this, though I might have to do so soon, but
to do this, you put the baseboard of the bar horizontal. Then run
something across the floor with a pencil attached while you have a
pencil point that is 1inch high, at all times. It will draw a line on
your baseboard that matches the curve of the floor.

thanks for the suggestion. I haven't put a string across the span to
see if the floor has any curve to it, or if it's a straight slope. I
was thinking if I put baseboard down, then covered the bottom with a
1/2" round over, the 1/2" trim would bend to any slight curve in the
floor. I also plan on tiling this area inside and around the bar, so
if I put some cement board down, that would probably flatten things
even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:32:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mwlogs" wrote in message

Level. 3/4 inch doesn't sound like much, but put anything round on
something with that much slope and it's going to roll.

Just re-reading this thread brought something to mind. At least the OP
noticed the slop and asked about it. I wonder how many people would have
just started building and wondered why it was cockeyed when done.

Good point. Bravo, OP.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Dec 2005 21:58:56 -0800, "Larry Bud"
wrote:

thanks for the suggestion. I haven't put a string across the span to
see if the floor has any curve to it, or if it's a straight slope. I
was thinking if I put baseboard down, then covered the bottom with a
1/2" round over, the 1/2" trim would bend to any slight curve in the
floor. I also plan on tiling this area inside and around the bar, so

Wouldn't it be good to tile before you firmly affixt the bar in place?
That way the bar can be moved or knocked down by accident and the
floor will still look good?

Even if the bar is installed already, I'd consider picking it up just
before the tile went down.

if I put some cement board down, that would probably flatten things
even more.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

in a DRY basement the thick carpet padding and shag carpeting will help
mask the floor pitch after you level the bar.
next take that christmas gift laser outside and fix the drain pitch
properly when you rehang your dripping rain gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Considering you may want to move it in the future, or you move to
another house and take it along, I'd build it level. Then screw a
shim on the bottom on the low end. 3/4" is easy, just a common
furring strip. That way if you move it all you got to do is remove
that strip
If you dont want to see the gap under the front of it, screw on a
small piece of trim along the bottom flush with the floor, and cut to
the angle of the floor. That trim can also be removed if you move the
bar.

PS. You better get building, you'll need that bar in about 30 hours,

--------------------

wrote:

As nearly every basement floor, there's a slope towards the drain. I'm
in the middle of framing a bar with construction lumber and was wonder
what as proper:

The length of the bar is approx 8 feet. The difference in height
between the two ends is about 3/4". So the question is, do you build
the bar so it's level, or so that it's a consistent height from the
floor?

Is 3/4" to little to worry about either way?

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

thanks for the suggestion. I haven't put a string across the span to
see if the floor has any curve to it, or if it's a straight slope. I
was thinking if I put baseboard down, then covered the bottom with a
1/2" round over, the 1/2" trim would bend to any slight curve in the
floor. I also plan on tiling this area inside and around the bar, so

Wouldn't it be good to tile before you firmly affixt the bar in place?
That way the bar can be moved or knocked down by accident and the
floor will still look good?

Even if the bar is installed already, I'd consider picking it up just
before the tile went down.

I completely agree. Tile it first, or just make the bar movable. I
personally would prefer the movable. Makes it easier to clean things
and move other furniture and such. They make some caster wheels that
you put on the inside and they have a lever to lift the unit onto the
wheels, or lower it so the frame is on the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

wrote:

thanks for the suggestion. I haven't put a string across the span to
see if the floor has any curve to it, or if it's a straight slope. I
was thinking if I put baseboard down, then covered the bottom with a
1/2" round over, the 1/2" trim would bend to any slight curve in the
floor. I also plan on tiling this area inside and around the bar, so

Wouldn't it be good to tile before you firmly affixt the bar in place?
That way the bar can be moved or knocked down by accident and the
floor will still look good?

Even if the bar is installed already, I'd consider picking it up just
before the tile went down.

The bar is securely fixed to the floor.. It ain't goin' anywhere!