Posted to alt.home.repair
Bach

Default Electrical - Wiring a sconce from a valence

I am currently in the design stage of my new kitchen. I plan to
install new cabinets. In some cases, I plan to create a valence where
two cabinets surround a window. I would like to hang a sconce in front
of the window.

Here is my plan,

Attach a horizontal cabinet "ceiling" board to the surrounding cabinets
to attach a ceiling box to hang the sconce from. I would run the
electrical behind the drywall and expose it an inch or two above the
cabinet "ceiling" board through a hole in the drywall with enough extra
to attach it to the ceiling box.

My question is, can I run the Romex (14/2-lights only) unprotected from
the hole in the drywall to the ceiling box or do I need to protect it
with metal sheathing? The height is ~7' 6" above the floor.

Do you have any suggestions or modifications to this plan?

Much appreciated and Happy Holidays,

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Bach" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I put a shelf across the top of a window ~3 feet. I used 1.25 thick material
cause I wanted to put some weight on the shelf. I screwed the shelf in
from the ends........ I found that anything more than 3 pounds in the middle
deflected the shelf. Which for my purpose was ok.

Sconces where I live are wall fixtures. Where as you may be talking about
pendant/ceiling fixture.
your going to need to protect the romex. Height is not a factor. Romex has
to be protected if exposed. Wire mold is always an option.
I "understand" that you may have forgotten the box that will need to be
installed for the 'ceiling" board.

Have fun with the remodel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bach

Ahh, yes. You are correct. I truly meant a pendant light.

Thank you for you feedback,