Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Electrical - Wiring a sconce from a valence

"Bach" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am currently in the design stage of my new kitchen. I plan to
install new cabinets. In some cases, I plan to create a valence where
two cabinets surround a window. I would like to hang a sconce in front
of the window.

Here is my plan,

Attach a horizontal cabinet "ceiling" board to the surrounding cabinets
to attach a ceiling box to hang the sconce from. I would run the
electrical behind the drywall and expose it an inch or two above the
cabinet "ceiling" board through a hole in the drywall with enough extra
to attach it to the ceiling box.

My question is, can I run the Romex (14/2-lights only) unprotected from
the hole in the drywall to the ceiling box or do I need to protect it
with metal sheathing? The height is ~7' 6" above the floor.

Do you have any suggestions or modifications to this plan?

Much appreciated and Happy Holidays,

I put a shelf across the top of a window ~3 feet. I used 1.25 thick material
cause I wanted to put some weight on the shelf. I screwed the shelf in
from the ends........ I found that anything more than 3 pounds in the middle
deflected the shelf. Which for my purpose was ok.

Sconces where I live are wall fixtures. Where as you may be talking about
pendant/ceiling fixture.
your going to need to protect the romex. Height is not a factor. Romex has
to be protected if exposed. Wire mold is always an option.
I "understand" that you may have forgotten the box that will need to be
installed for the 'ceiling" board.

Have fun with the remodel.