Phil Scott

Default Residential power wiring: mounting electrical box outside?

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Need to put an alarm buzzer (outside rated) on an external

stucco wall. The
buzzer has a 3/4 opening on the back of the 4x4 cast housing

for a standard
conduit / flex fitting or strain wire clamp / bushing.

Have outdoor (NEMA 3, I think) 6x6x4 box.

Buzzer needs to face away from stucco wall.

So, how best to mount these? If I use NEMA box, cover is on

face (away from
wall), and I don't think you can mount anything on a cover

(inspector might
not like that : -). Any other surface faces the buzzer in a

direction other
than away from the wall.

If I mount the buzzer directly on the wall, this puts the

3/4 hole against
the wall. Is it acceptable to put conduit or flex through

the wall directly
to the back of the buzzer?

Sure, use urethane roof sealant in a calking tube on the back
of the box and around the wall penetration... use 3 cement
screws to hold the box aganst the wall (drill first) you can
also run romex though the wall into yer box if the building is
not over 3 stories. you dont need conduit in a wall.

Phil Scott

Other orientations?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Richard J Kinch

DaveC writes:

Other orientations?

Soffit?
Greg

Is it acceptable to put conduit or flex through the wall directly
to the back of the buzzer?

Sure. As long as it's a weatherproof box, and the buzzer can be removed
from the front to allow access to the splices.

BTW I heard a discussion in an inspector meeting that a normal 3R box outside
an exterior wall was a wet location and you couldn't run Romex into it.
It was far from a unanimous opinion but inspectors can be quirky guys so don't
be surprised if you hear this again.

Vote me for "this is BS".

Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
electrical wiring question j j Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 11:00 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM
Kitchen Electrical Wiring Regulations Advice Please DeeBee UK diy 3 January 2nd 04 10:48 AM
Electrical Wiring Grouping Factors in IEE Regs pickerel UK diy 5 July 14th 03 01:26 AM