Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

Default motion detector on bathroom fan

I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to
automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of
my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work
properly. Is there such a device??
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:24:47 -0500, dk wrote:

I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to
automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of
my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work
properly. Is there such a device??

IR emitter, detector, and a bunch of reflectors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com.
That should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Skyhawk

I have experimented on this.

Those 180 degree motion sensor wall switch do not work well as they are
intended
for incandescent lamps.

I ended up using the following:

- humidistat switch (turns on the fan automatically with humidity).
(available in rona)
- rotary 'twist' timer. (for 'twist and forget method' of turning the
fan on for a while )

works well. Kids have no trouble twisting the switch. i.e. they don't
have to go
back and turn off the fan. And when they shower, they have no choice
the fan
will turn on on its own.

The two switches above connected in parallel, replacing the orignal fan
switch.

gerryc

dk wrote:
I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to
automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of
my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work
properly. Is there such a device??

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Broan makes a fan with a built-in motion detector.
http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=649

You could also try installing a ceiling motion sensor to activate your
existing fan.