DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   motion detector on bathroom fan (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/136899-motion-detector-bathroom-fan.html)

dk December 23rd 05 08:24 PM

motion detector on bathroom fan

I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to
automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of
my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work
properly. Is there such a device??

Goedjn December 23rd 05 08:49 PM

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:24:47 -0500, dk wrote:

I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to
automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of
my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work
properly. Is there such a device??

IR emitter, detector, and a bunch of reflectors.

[email protected] December 23rd 05 10:28 PM

motion detector on bathroom fan

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com.
That should work.

Beachcomber December 23rd 05 10:43 PM

On 23 Dec 2005 14:28:35 -0800, wrote:

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com.
That should work.

The commerical product is called an occupancy sensor and they are
typically installed in building bathrooms to turn on the lights and
fan and save energy.

Well stocked electrical supply stores have them or Google "Occupancy
Sensor".

Beachcomber

Mark Lloyd December 24th 05 02:42 AM

motion detector on bathroom fan

On 23 Dec 2005 14:28:35 -0800, wrote:

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com.
That should work.

I have used X10 motion sensors, and found them unsuitable except in
VERY simple systems. They send too many X10 commands (repeatedly when
motion is present, and don't forget the time-delayed OFF commands).
These cause a large number of X10 collisions.

You may get this to work if you use NO OTHER X10 devices.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

mm December 24th 05 05:33 AM

motion detector on bathroom fan

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:42:00 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 23 Dec 2005 14:28:35 -0800, wrote:

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com.
That should work.

I have used X10 motion sensors, and found them unsuitable except in
VERY simple systems. They send too many X10 commands (repeatedly when
motion is present, and don't forget the time-delayed OFF commands).
These cause a large number of X10 collisions.

And what happens when an X10 hits an X-15?

You may get this to work if you use NO OTHER X10 devices.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Skyhawk December 25th 05 02:51 AM

motion detector on bathroom fan

I have experimented on this.

Those 180 degree motion sensor wall switch do not work well as they are
intended
for incandescent lamps.

I ended up using the following:

- humidistat switch (turns on the fan automatically with humidity).
(available in rona)
- rotary 'twist' timer. (for 'twist and forget method' of turning the
fan on for a while )

works well. Kids have no trouble twisting the switch. i.e. they don't
have to go
back and turn off the fan. And when they shower, they have no choice
the fan
will turn on on its own.

The two switches above connected in parallel, replacing the orignal fan
switch.

gerryc

John Grabowski December 25th 05 02:31 PM

motion detector on bathroom fan

Broan makes a fan with a built-in motion detector.
http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=649

You could also try installing a ceiling motion sensor to activate your
existing fan.